03:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Monument

Old 1st January 2010, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Very nice! I USED to have a circa 1970-ish maple neck sunburst Strat, but I sold it in the early 80's, the one in my photo is what I refer to as my 'Pretender Shamocaster' (£20 from a junk shop in Wrexham c.1988, and done up). I still have a 72-ish Gibson LP Custom, 67 Gibson SG Standard, and a 66 Gibson Firebird (forward body). I also used to have a 1971 335 and a 65 SG Junior, but sold them as well. I've got a Hohner fretless bass also.
I WAS in my own band, doing much the same sort of thing, but I was sick for a year, and the ar*eho*es decided they could do without me! At 60. it's a bit late for trying to start again - that's why I now spend so much time doing train stuff!
Top of The morning to you Dave, wow a 335 im a big Larry Carlton fan never the bread for one. Spent it all on wine women and bikes wasted the rest.Im 67 and still doing it was pro years back played all over germany and in the states in Nashville .Great days pity your not closer a jam would have been good and I aint gonna stop until it kills me

Old 1st January 2010, 11:02

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrat View Post
Top of The morning to you Dave, wow a 335 im a big Larry Carlton fan never the bread for one. Spent it all on wine women and bikes wasted the rest.Im 67 and still doing it was pro years back played all over germany and in the states in Nashville .Great days pity your not closer a jam would have been good and I aint gonna stop until it kills me
Good morrow squire. I actually sold the 335 (walnut) in order to buy a P.A. for the s*ddi*g band. I didn't like it much, for some reason the neck always got sticky after a few minutes, no matter how often I cleaned it, it just kept happening. One of the other ar*eh*les in the band had a new 'old' cherry 335, and exactly the same thing happened wth that. Very odd; out of all the guitars I've played, it was only the 335s this happened on. I'd love to carry on playing, but it's not easy to get a band up & running at this age (I can't sing, and I'm a pedestrian!), if I was still IN a band, it wouldn't be a problem!
Old 1st January 2010, 11:10

I just noticed you're in Bedford - I stopped off there for a couple of hours on 24th August, managed to photograph 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" going north with a support coach:
http://daverowland.fotopic.net/p61209656.html
(plus others)
I didn't happen to have a guitar about my person though. Or amplifiers (Marshall 100 combo & 1969-ish Fender Twin Reverb); too heavy to be luggin' around on trains!
Old 1st January 2010, 11:10

Quote:
Good morrow squire. I actually sold the 335 (walnut) in order to buy a P.A. for the s*ddi*g band. I didn't like it much, for some reason the neck always got sticky after a few minutes, no matter how often I cleaned it, it just kept happening. One of the other ar*eh*les in the band had a new 'old' cherry 335, and exactly the same thing happened wth that. Very odd; out of all the guitars I've played, it was only the 335s this happened on. I'd love to carry on playing, but it's not easy to get a band up & running at this age (I can't sing, and I'm a pedestrian!), if I was still IN a band, it wouldn't be a problem!
Im a singer as well as lead player Dave along with my daughter and the old voice is still holding up .Bands are hard to hold together you wouldnt believe how many drummers weve had .I left school at 14 to join a theatre group traveling around the country and had voice coaching by a lady Opera singer and despite abusing it for years its still ok .I will stick something on private msg for you
Old 1st January 2010, 11:14

[QUOTE=garrat;37446I will stick something on private msg for you[/QUOTE]

I look forward to imminent enlightenment!
Old 1st January 2010, 11:32

Quote:
I just noticed you're in Bedford - I stopped off there for a couple of hours on 24th August, managed to photograph 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" going north with a support coach:
http://daverowland.fotopic.net/p61209656.html
(plus others)
I didn't happen to have a guitar about my person though. Or amplifiers (Marshall 100 combo & 1969-ish Fender Twin Reverb); too heavy to be luggin' around on trains!
I was on it Dave great trip it lost loads of time due to signal problems but made it all up a great loco was supposed to have an Irish mate join me But he took objection to the name.

Last edited by garrat; 1st January 2010 at 11:34.
Old 1st January 2010, 11:45

Quote:
Hi Dave - are they valve amps ?
Old 1st January 2010, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrat View Post
I was on it Dave great trip it lost loads of time due to signal problems but made it all up a great loco was supposed to have an Irish mate join me But he took objection to the name.
They're funny like that! Just had a look at your site - I assume you're Chopper? Playing a blonde 335 in one pic?
Old 1st January 2010, 12:05

Cool

Quote:
They're funny like that! Just had a look at your site - I assume you're Chopper? Playing a blonde 335 in one pic?
Yep thats me its not a real one its an epiphone tho made in the Gibson factory ,doest play as good as the Strat tho also have a Fender twin reverb Talk about heavy you need three roadies to carry it and you dont put your hand on it after the gig you could fry eggs on it .Valve heat.
Old 1st January 2010, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Hi Dave - are they valve amps ?
The Marshall combo is only about 6/7 years old, and NOT valves, but the Twin Reverb (which I bought s/h for about £200 around 1975) is valve. As you say, it's UNBELIEVABLY heavy! Lucky I live in a ground floor flat! My old rhythm guitarist used to lug it around for me; he's got his own office supplies business, and is used to humping photocopiers & the like around. Also, most of my PC equipment was sort of given/lent/on HP to me from him - good man. He also took me & all our gear to gigs in his Volvo estate (the band chucked HIM out not long after dispensing with my services - he ALSO refers to them in glowing terms).