16:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Favourite Station

Old 10th January 2009, 20:29

In its heydey would have said york for the DELTICS of course ,lol but today i would say doncaster seems to be a crossroads for all passenger and freight and you dont seem to get long for something to come by least not when me and my son have been there last year

Old 1st April 2009, 23:22

For me, it's a toss up between Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International and Bescot....places I used to frequent as a child, back in the Eighties.....too many Pendolino's & Multiple Unit's for my liking these days though.

Steve
Old 1st April 2009, 23:28
berwickspotter

I would say york. but watching the trains come over the royal border bridge
at berwick-upon-tweed is somthing else
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:08
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Smile

hi,
mine got to be grove park station,your probaly wondering why,this is why,class 465 traction 24/7,hastings mainline with class 375's every couple of minute's and the accousional roar of a DB class 66 and class 59!
calum mclean,14
Old 14th April 2009, 14:51

Favourite Stations

It has to be Grosmont. It has everything, including a four-track level crossing, junction with Network Rail, plenty of stock movements, right at centre of the town (or is it village?), lovely signalbox, and atmosphere - and last time I was there, on a filthy day, I was allowed into the ladies' waiting room to sit in front of the roaring fire. What could be better? And yes, the NYMR is my favourite of them all - but I have Yorkshire blood in me so perhaps I am biased!

Other than that - Bristol Temple Meads - where I spent most of my waking hours as a boy in the 1950s.

Ian J
Old 21st April 2009, 19:46

Smile

Hi, mine has got to be London Paddington. A great place to be during the 80,s. Lots of Vallenta action, class 50,s plus a whole lot more to boot.
Old 26th April 2009, 09:46

Difficult to narrow it down to just one. My selection would include York and Paddington for sure.

I would also add Pickering as a heritage site, as I've been there many times and has a good atmosphere.

My nearest station is Liverpool Lime Street, which currently undergoing a major face lift (at last!). When completed I think it will look very impressive once again.

How about a nomination for worst station? For me that would have to be Manchester Oxford Road - IMO it's the most depressing station in terms of atmosphere and looks. Plus I've waited for connecting trains freezing cold on it's platforms more times than I care to remember!
Old 10th May 2009, 09:31

My favourite has to be edale station in the peak district. beautiful surroundings, peace and quite. Its quite easy to sit and imagine how it used to be during steam days!! The old signal box still in use stands well, and is wonderful to see with a sprinkling of snow on the ground. Alas there is very little variety of loco's these days and the choice is either diesel sprinter cars or EWS yeoman pulled freights, mainly full of limestone from the blue circle cement factory at castleton. Ah, how i long to return to the 80's when no two trains were the same....
My second favourite would have to be sherinham station on the north norfolk railway that runs from sheringham to holt, beautifully preserved, and lovely to see steam sat at the platform!!
Old 18th July 2009, 21:05

Smile

hmmm, I have a few favourites so here are the top five:

5th - Birmingham New Street
4th - Liverpool Lime Street
3rd - Crewe
2nd - Preston
1st - York

I know this wasn't part of the question, but my favourite route would have to be the West Coast Main Line.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:03

Mine would be Weybourne on the North Norfolk Railway.