09:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

British Narrow Gauge

Old 18th February 2007, 22:03
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario View Post
Browsing in my library, I picked up the GREAT BOOK OF TRAINS and opened it from the last page (407): Class NGG16 1-C-1+1-C-1, Welsh Highland Railway.
There is an artist impression of a red-painted garratt hauling a train above the gorge. Wonderful!
Ciao from Dario
I think that was the picture used in the original publicity for the project. There is now a beautiful painting of the Pass in Winter with a Garret blasting up, sometime in the near future. It is by John Austin who took four of the top five places in last years Guild of Railway Artists competion! The painting of the Pass took fifth place. I wouldn't mind having it but Austin originals command four figure sums ( pounds stirling)!

Best wishes,

John H-T

Last edited by John H-T; 18th February 2007 at 22:06.
Old 18th December 2008, 19:11

Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway

The Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway is a 2ft 6in gauge, ex-industrial railway operating between Sittingbourne and Kemsley Paper Mills in Kent, UK.

The Railway has one of the oldest, pre-stressed concrete structures in the UK - Milton Regis Viaduct - which is almost a kilometre long, linking Sittingbourne Viaduct station with Milton Regis Halt before the Railway crosses Church Marshes Country Park to Kemsley Down station between the paper mill and Milton Creek.

I'll post a separate thread in the main narrow gauge section and give the full history.

Only one of our locos has left the Railway and that was 'Premier', over 20 years ago, when she visited a model railway exhibition in Gravesend!

Our website is http://www.sklr.net

Cheers,

Paul

PS the steam railway at Whipsnade Safari Park has a lot of ex-Bowaters Railway locos and rolling stock from our line and the other UK 2' 6" line is the Welshpool & Llanfair in Wales.
Old 19th December 2008, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopem View Post
The Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway is a 2ft 6in gauge, ex-industrial railway operating between Sittingbourne and Kemsley Paper Mills in Kent, UK.
What is the latest regarding the closure and eviction notice ?
Old 20th December 2008, 11:25

SKLR closure notice

As it stands, the Railway will close after the last train on Boxing Day and we have until the end of January to clear the Sittingbourne site.

We are back in negotiation with m-real, our landlords, but as you will appreciate, they are very sensitive talks so I can't say much more than that.

We've all got our fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Paul
Old 30th December 2008, 23:14

I visited the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Railway on Boxing Day and got a few shots from both stations from the lineside, which can be found at the link in my signiature below. I'll upload some photos to the forum in the next couple of days along with some mainline stuff.

Fingers crossed that the S&KLR is saved. Will be a great shame if it does close.

My Rail Photos @ http://craigrailpics.fotopic.net/

My Rail Videos @ http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=21C123
Old 20th February 2009, 18:40

Hi Dario. The other major narrow gauge news at the moment is the possible closure of the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Railway in Kent. This line is one of only three 2'6" gauge lines in Britain - the others are the Welshpool & Llanfair and at Whipsnade Zoo.
The current situation appears to be as follows: The land that the railway runs on belongs to the nearby paper mill which closed some years ago. The owning landlords - M-real paper - are trying to sell the land as a whole with no concession to the railway to allow them to buy / rent the strip of land that the line runs on, whilst the rest of the site is earmarked for development. However, the local council is backing the railway in their negotiations with M-real to find a solution that allows the railwy to continue to operate.
The last public train ran on December 26th 2008 and no services can be announced for 2009 while the negotiations are ongoing. The railway is having to plan for services starting at Easter, while also making plans to completely vacate the site if the outcome is that they cannot operate.
So, all up in the air at the moment, but I'll try to post again if there is any more news.

Regards,
Tony
Old 11th August 2009, 11:59

I volunteered to help lay the WHR track through the Aberglaslyn pass, I can think of worse places to work

Now open to Hafod y Llyn, it is by far britains best narrow gauge line. Number 87 is their newest garratt and I rode on its first fee paying trip through the pass. You really cannot miss this railway. Then when you're done, go to the Festiniog to ride on the double fairlies.

Another I would suggest is the talyllyn. This was the first preserved railway in britain and chuffs its way up the lovely fathew valley. i spent many holidays as a kid on that railway.

I don't really like the narrow gauge railways in england, they are too much like toy trains. Welsh trains are an engineering solution, which to me is much more interesting.

Last edited by j0hn0; 11th August 2009 at 15:56.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:50
Station Manager

As posted elsewhere I rode the West Highland through the Aberglaslyn Pass on Monday ... fantastic.

Another great trip is the Vale of Rheidol from Aberystwydd to Devil's Bridge.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:11

I must do that trip, was it good?
Old 29th August 2009, 16:57

Just came back from a tour of Welsh Narrow gauge.

Welshpool & Llanfair - great little railway with good buildings, and interesting (Hungarian ?) rolling stock. A very tidy operation. Great fun riding on the open end lobbies of their unusual carriages. Scenary is good but obviously not up to the standard of the more famous Welsh routes to the north.

Tallylyn - what a fun little railway. Everyone there was so enthusiastic and smiling, great stations that look authentic. Climbs steadily into the hills. Rolling stock is good as are the Locos. Really liked this one.

Ffestiniog - what an amazing route, one continuous grade from Blaenau to the sea at Porthmadog. Unusual double Fairlie locos, that have brilliant grip even on the steepest sections where they happily pulled 11 full carriages while I was there. Route has Britains only spiral. Good stations that look authentic, shares mainline terminus with NR at Blaenau. Big Disapointment was level of crowding on the day I went, when people were unhappy as they couldn't sit with friends etc. Far too many coaches were block-booked to coach tour companies. Pick a quieter time of year to really enjoy this classic journey.

Welsh Highland - Has amazing potential and could eventually be as good as Ffestiniog. Facilities at Caernafon are disappointing given its status and position next to the castle, with just portacabins for a ticket office and toilet and no platform shelter from the rain for passengers. Has those lovely Garratts which are amazingly large and powerful so really impressive when they accelerate. Carriages are quite large in great condition and there is an onboard toilet and trolley service. Sadly the day I went last week the journey had to be abandoned before the real scenery started due to apalling weather (In August ) which caused serious track flooding. However, as a consequence I got to ride on that rarest of things, a train with a Garratt at each end, when they sent the thunderbird loco to rescue us so I will have to go back next year to enjoy the full five hour round trip to Porthmadog.

Vale of Rheidol - Wow what a great line. Starts in Aberystwyth from the station that it shares with NR. The first few miles follow the river and are almost routine Welsh countryside. However, this soon changes and the line gets higher and higher and you look down into the valley that it follows. The wooded valley really is spectacular and the line in the last few miles seems to sit on a shelf of rock that meanders along the high sides of the valley. The views are among the best in the UK and it really shows what an Engineering feat this line is. Its terminus is at Devils Bridge, from which there is time to visit the falls at the Devils punchbowl before returning. The Locos are in the best condition of any that I rode on this week, and the line ran remarkably smoothly with hardly a jolt. The line has two slight problems. The views are often spoiled by the trees; they have recognised this and there is a promise that this is being addressed in their literature. Also the facilities at either end of the line may be authentic Great Western tin structures, but they are not really up to the volume of people who use this line so could do with being made a little larger, their website also recognises this as well and promises future improvements. This was my favorite narrow gauge journey by some margin and I find it unusual that it is often overshadowed by some of the others up country in Snowdonia. You should visit this one.

Snowdon Mountain railway - something a bit different and very tourist oriented. Has experienced significant extra demand since the new Snowdon visitors centre at the summit has been completed. I would recommend that you catch the first train of the day like I did and buy your tickets in advance (a long and painful phone call where you are kept on hold is needed, which took nearly an hour) however, this avoids the long queues on the day and possibly being turned away at peak times. Only about 50% of the trains are steam and they always ran full. They are also quite cramped so tall people need to think where to sit. The views are as you can imagine really good, although low cloud often obscures the summit and hence the views. The visitors centre is fine, modern and warm and serves decent drinks and has good loos. Wrap up warm as at the summit it was only just above freezing the day I went and the carriages are not heated, so you need two layers and a coat in summer. Parking is expensive at a fiver, and the journey itself is not cheap either, but I am glad that I made it.

Last edited by Pesmo; 29th August 2009 at 19:40.