20:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Simplex Motor Rail - Info required

Old 13th September 2010, 10:42

Simplex Motor Rail - Info required

I am trying to find any information regarding a Simplex Motor Rail No. 9869.
This loco appears to have been used at some time with a modified body to give it a steam outline and carried the name 'OLIVER'.
Any info as to where it ran in this disguise or its previous working life would be much apprectiated.

Old 13th September 2010, 19:45

After WW2 there were dozens of Simplex rail motors in service, mainly used for light shunting on private sidings. Can you give any more info on No9869? Where was it located and in what time period?
Old 13th September 2010, 20:04

Try googling "Simplex rail motors". You will find loads of info on them, I found that No9869 was a 20/28HP Diesel built sometime in the early 50's. It is an interesting site and may be a start in your search.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:15

motor rail

thanks Tony for your input.

I have the info that it was built in 1953 and is a 2.5 ton 20/28 HP using a Dorman 2DWD engine.

It is its past working history that I am after.

I have Googled but did not find anything relevant, unfortunately you did not give the URL for the site you found the info on, could you oblige and post the URL please.
Many Thanks

Bill
Old 14th September 2010, 10:58

Sorry Bill, I don't know what a URL is! I type into google a question of what I want and then ferret about amongst the most likely titles that come up.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Sorry Bill, I don't know what a URL is! I type into google a question of what I want and then ferret about amongst the most likely titles that come up.
The best-known example of a URL is the "address" of a web page on the World Wide Web, e.g. http://www.example.com.

If you post the URL another user can click on it and go straight to the same page.

Quickest way is to click on the URL,(right click on mouse) cut, and then (right click again) paste into your post.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:35

The following notes came from the UK Locos database:

Ex Burford, Oxon, Tucking Hill Tramway, Midford & The Village, Fleggburgh. Sold at Fleggburgh auction 15-16/10/04, moved to Cinque Ports Holiday Camp, Hastings by 25/11/04, to Hop Farm, Paddock Wood c2007 seen 13/5/07, 16/3/08 in field, 14/7/08 with stock & rails, 12&31/5/09 & 2/1/10 OOU in compound, to ? 8/3/10 seen on lorry ready to leave.

For those not aware of it, the UKLocos database can be found at www.uklocos.com and it lists every non-mainline locomotive in the UK. Obviously such a database can never be 100% accurate but it is generally fairly up to date.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:30

Motor Rail 9869

Thanks Penrose,

Information most helpful and I will check out the link that you mentioned

Cheers

Bill
Old 16th September 2010, 15:36

Simplex comes to rest

Oliver was built in 1953 and I believe was supplied direct to Billing Aquadrome complete with steam outline body. It then passed to the Cotswold Wildlife Park at Burford, and so on as already described.
It was sold at auction in June 2010 and advertised for sale in Tractor Magazine by a dealer in Kent for £1500. We bought it and it is now at Bredgar waiting restoration - I wanted it restored as it was at Billing with SO body but I think it will be restored as a standard MR Simplex. Mechanically it is in sound condition and runs well but as it was supplied with a SO body (which had been removed / rotted away before we acquired it) there are some bits we are going to have to fabricate like the bonnet! It will also need a new set of wheels as it appears the exisiing ones are the originals and are very worn.
Hope this helps - not sure who got the other things at the Hop Farm as no sale details are available.
Old 17th September 2010, 15:55

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the info

Bill