18:37

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Monument

Old 31st December 2009, 15:11

Monument

On the GE down electric adjacent to the training ground of West Ham Utd at Chadwell Heath there is a monument. I have heard many reasons for its presence. Could anyone explain what it is there for?

Old 31st December 2009, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
On the GE down electric adjacent to the training ground of West Ham Utd at Chadwell Heath there is a monument. I have heard many reasons for its presence. Could anyone explain what it is there for?

No idea, but there was an accident in that area in Nov 1898 ! But I can't find any details, there may not have been any fatalities.
Old 31st December 2009, 19:09

I THINK the monument you've seen MIGHT be a 'Coal Tax Post' - there's one on the north side of the line at Chadwell Heath, behind Crow Lane (apparently - I don't know the area). About 250 of these were put up from 1851 to mark the limits of the Metropolitan Police Area; they radiated approximately 20 miles from the centre of London, and covered all railwa lines & roadways. There was a tax on coal & wine brought into London, and these were the points at which tax had to be paid if importing such produce into London. I could be wrong, of course, but it makes sense; have a look for yourselves:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_tax_post

Hope this helps. Happy New Year!
Old 31st December 2009, 19:13

You Dave are such an asset to this forum .I had seen them thanks, very interesting never knew that happened
Old 31st December 2009, 19:24

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrat View Post
You Dave are such an asset to this forum .I had seen them thanks, very interesting never knew that happened
Thanks Garrat - a glowing reference indeed; I doubt my head will fit through the door now! As a matter of fact, I'd never heard of ANY of it until I read the thread - less than 45 minutes ago! Didn't even know where Chadwell Heath WAS! As they say - 'Google is your friend'.
Don't get TOO drunk, you lot!
Old 31st December 2009, 19:33

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Thanks Garrat - a glowing reference indeed; I doubt my head will fit through the door now! As a matter of fact, I'd never heard of ANY of it until I read the thread - less than 45 minutes ago! Didn't even know where Chadwell Heath WAS! As they say - 'Google is your friend'.
Don't get TOO drunk, you lot!
Your welcome .Dave Im now off to the pub see our drummer playing with his other band .Might geta go if not too many real ales
All the best for 2010
Old 31st December 2009, 19:39

Quote:
Your welcome .Dave Im now off to the pub see our drummer playing with his other band .Might geta go if not too many real ales
All the best for 2010
I have to ask - what do YOU play? (when sober-ish?)
Old 31st December 2009, 20:29

Thanks to Dave Rowland I think you are right I had heard it was to do with Coal now I can say with some certainty what it is for. Every time I have had a road learner it is the question that crops up. What is the monument for. I had been told it was a boundary, Coal tax point even a post where they timed the Decapod Steam Engine when it was tested!
Old 1st January 2010, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
I have to ask - what do YOU play? (when sober-ish?)
I play as an instrument a 1976 Strat thats my favourite tho do have several others.The band is a covers band evrything from rock n roll blues country we do pubs wedding clubs anywhere really.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:41

Quote:
I play as an instrument a 1976 Strat thats my favourite tho do have several others.The band is a covers band evrything from rock n roll blues country we do pubs wedding clubs anywhere really.
Very nice! I USED to have a circa 1970-ish maple neck sunburst Strat, but I sold it in the early 80's, the one in my photo is what I refer to as my 'Pretender Shamocaster' (£20 from a junk shop in Wrexham c.1988, and done up). I still have a 72-ish Gibson LP Custom, 67 Gibson SG Standard, and a 66 Gibson Firebird (forward body). I also used to have a 1971 335 and a 65 SG Junior, but sold them as well. I've got a Hohner fretless bass also.
I WAS in my own band, doing much the same sort of thing, but I was sick for a year, and the ar*eho*es decided they could do without me! At 60. it's a bit late for trying to start again - that's why I now spend so much time doing train stuff!