11:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

North London Sidings

Old 7th December 2010, 04:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
........Wembley Yard its self comprised of three "fans" of sidings named "A" , "B",& "C" sidings with three Loco holding sidings next to the Main Lines these were named "Q" "P" & "R" sidings.
Oi! you forgot Receptions 1 to 7 Which, along with "A" fan are the only bits that really see any use these days. "C" fan is clipped out of use but B8 through road is still in use.

Old 7th December 2010, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33056 View Post
Oi! you forgot Receptions 1 to 7 Which, along with "A" fan are the only bits that really see any use these days. "C" fan is clipped out of use but B8 through road is still in use.
When I mentioned "A" sidings I was referring to roads 1-7 arrival sidings,then next to them you had the "customs" siding,then "B" sidings which were mainly "stopblock" sidings,and further East "C" sidings. If I can find it I have a "Yellow Peril" notice for WEFOC when it opened and also one for the later alterations extending the "Slow Lines".
Old 10th December 2010, 11:15

Just for you old Saltley boys ( me ducks ) I've put a map in stations of how
it was in the 70's and 80's
Old 10th December 2010, 23:21

What uses Wembley Yard these days? I thought the little wagonload traffic left had transferred to Didcot Yard. Is it true that there is now no wagonload traffic to/from Europe through the Tunnel?
Old 11th December 2010, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuffchuff View Post
Just for you old Saltley boys ( me ducks ) I've put a map in stations of how
it was in the 70's and 80's
Many thanks Chuffchuff for your interesting map. Because my main interest in railways is their history, this map gives me a clue to the origins of Sudbury Sidings.

The map shows the DC lines in a tunnel, so in the early years of the 20th. Century the LNWR went to considerable expense to route their electric lines for London suburban commuter traffic under the sidings. This suggests that the original Sudbury Sidings were already going strong one hundred years ago, so have a long history going back to the 19th.Century.

Mike
Old 13th December 2010, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Webster View Post
What uses Wembley Yard these days? I thought the little wagonload traffic left had transferred to Didcot Yard. Is it true that there is now no wagonload traffic to/from Europe through the Tunnel?
It is basically just a "staging post" for various things these days.

With regard to wagonload, Dow Corning in Barry Docks still gets the odd bit of traffic and there are still a few vans of export products from Daventry which tag onto the block water trains.