22:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Cromford station, Derbyshire

Old 30th July 2009, 09:16

Cromford station, Derbyshire

I have just booked a weekend at Cromford waiting room in Derbyshire, which has been wonderfullly restored to a holiday let. Really looking forward to it as it's close to Peak Rail and Ecclesbourne I think, and I've never been to Derbyshire.

http://www.cromfordstationwaitingroom.co.uk/

Also I just found out its claim to fame - it was on the cover of an Oasis single...

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=68690

Old 30th July 2009, 11:02

If you haven't been to Derbyshire, you haven't lived !

You can get a bus from the end of the station drive direct to Crich tramway museum, and also to Ripley for the Midland Rail Centre (same bus).
Old 30th July 2009, 13:55

Visit the Lea Wood steam pump just along the canal if it is running,
it uses ex Midland Railway boilers dated I think something like 1904.
John (G)
Old 1st August 2009, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Visit the Lea Wood steam pump just along the canal if it is running,
it uses ex Midland Railway boilers dated I think something like 1904.
John (G)
Yep. That as well. If you're feeling energetic, then you can walk the trckbed of the Cromford and High Peak. There's a miniture line that runs on the Middleton Branch, but I can't for the life of me remember it's official name !

Just avoid getting any tarts at Bakewell !
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:42

It is a looooooong way up that incline though,
But a great view from the top. I cannot remember the name of the 18 inch railway either but do they not have the little diesel from Horwich works there.
OK walking back down though unless you try to run in which case you will most likely end up with that wagon in the trap at the bottom.
John (G)

Last edited by Gandalf; 2nd August 2009 at 09:42. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd August 2009, 13:00

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I didn't realise there was so much interesting stuff in the area. I think I should have booked a full week now....
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
I cannot remember the name of the 18 inch railway either John (G)
Steeple Grange Light Railway ! It came to me whilst shopping today !

PS suggest you catch the bus from Cromford to the top of the hill, and walk back down.
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by meurglysIII View Post
Thanks for the pointers everyone. I didn't realise there was so much interesting stuff in the area. I think I should have booked a full week now....
As featured on the Griff Rhys Jones "Rivers" programme early tonight ...
Old 20th August 2009, 12:31

Well, thanks for the pointers everybody, we had a great few days, starting with a gorgeous drive over the Cat & Fiddle pass towards Buxton in beautiful sunshine on Saturday.

Stopped at Peak Rail in Rowsley on Saturday on the way past, saw the two class 50s living there and their large collection of shunters in various states of repair, also a lovely looking freshly-painted LMS red engine in the shed. (sorry, kettles aren't my area but i think it was a Pacific). A great setup they have there.

The restored station at Cromford is really comfortable and beautifully restored. Trains pass about 2 per hour but didn't really bother us, they were one and two car units. It was a bit disconcerting having commuters looking at us but i don't think they could see much through the triple-glazing. The only thing I would say is as there was no way to open the window units, it must get quite warm in there when the weather is hot. Thankfully that's not often...

On Sunday we had a drive to Butterley to the Midland railway. I was very disappointed here, there was nobody in the booking office and information was hard to come by. We didn't take the steam train here as I thought £12 each was a bit much for a short journey. As it was lunchtime we ate in the station "cafe" a portakabin where we had the worst toasties in the world, a thin sliver of processed cheese and a bit of old ham on some thin bread, £4.99 each, served by a young girl who couldn't hold two thoughts in her head at the same time. She forgot we'd asked for tea, though I was sure she'd charged for it....

On Monday we went to the Ecclesbourne Valley railway, at first we walked down the hill from the stone centre to Ravenstor station, then realised this was an unmanned platform with no facilities and there would be no return train that day, so walked back up the hill, got in the car and drove to Wirksworth.
I have to say this was by far the best of the 3 railways we visited, everyone was friendly and chatty, we got the last train of the day to Idridgehay, £6 return, much more reasonable and the guard was funny & chatty.

On Monday evening we went for a walk down the canal at Cromford to see the Sheep Junction workshops, and walked up the incline as far as Black Rocks, by this time it was getting towards dusk so we couldn't go further, plus my calf muscles were hurting.... I feel now like I need to go back and walk the trail downhill from Wirksworth Stone Centre, and maybe in the other direction too.

All in all it was a good weekend packed with heritage train stuff, which my wife admirably tolerated. I think she may be starting to be converted... we went to Derby on the train for her to do a bit of shopping as a reward.......

Apologies if I've been harsh to the volunteers at Midland, feel free to shout up for them if I have offended, but as we all know, first impressions count, and I think they have some work to do.

Last edited by meurglysIII; 20th August 2009 at 16:18.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:21

Oh, and we got some tarts from Bakewell....