17:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

The Pembroke Coast Express

Old 18th April 2008, 20:07
Station Manager

The Pembroke Coast Express

Monday 5th May 2008

My wife has booked the two of us on this trip as a late extra Birthday present. Anyone else going on this run?

This is a rare opportunity to travel with steam over the scenic branch from Clarbeston Road to Milford Haven hauled by 71000 Duke of Gloucester. Enjoy the wonderful scenery that this part of Wales has to offer from the comfort of our steam hauled train.
Our train departs Bristol Temple Meads around 08:00 steam hauled by 71000 Duke of Gloucester.
It heads west through the Severn Tunnel calling to pick up further passengers at Newport and Cardiff before entering West Wales. At Briton Ferry it takes the Swansea District Line to Llangennech. From Llanelli we run by the sea wall most of the way to Carmarthen where our steam locomotive will be serviced. There will be around one and a half hours to visit the town.

We leave Carmarthen diesel hauled to Clarbeston Road where we join the scenic branch line to Milford Haven passing through Haverfordwest and Johnston.

Our train leaves Milford Haven steam hauled by 71000 Duke of Gloucester, we face a stiff climb up to Haverfordwest.

We continue to Clarbeston Road where we join the main line avoiding Carmarthen by taking the south curve and then continue to Llanelli. From here we test the Duke on the steep ascent of Cockett Bank, a 1 in 50 gradient. Our train avoids Swansea High Street station and continues on the main line to Cardiff, our first set down stop. We set down further passengers at Newport before running through the Severn Tunnel and onwards to Bristol, journey’s end where we say our fond farewells to the Duke.
Approximate Timings

Bristol Temple Meads
Depart 07:45
Return 20:50
Newport
Depart 08:45
Return 19:36
Cardiff
Depart 09:06
Return 19:17
Carmarthen
Depart 11:35
Return 12:50
Milford Haven
Arrive 14:00
Depart 14:30

Last edited by DSY011; 18th April 2008 at 20:14.
Old 18th April 2008, 20:10
Registered Member

Sounds great Syd have a nice trip.
Old 18th April 2008, 22:22
Station Manager

Sadly not but have a great day and post some photos.

Looks a great trip.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 19th April 2008, 16:37

Thumbs up

Wont be on the trip (shame) but I hope to photograph it somewhere in the Severn Tunnel area in the morning.The last time I was in Milford Haven I remember having a nice pint or two near the station - I think it was in The Lord Nelson.
Have a great time and let's see the photographs.