10:55

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Goods Train Formation

Old 11th November 2010, 05:23

It's a small world !!!

From the first image of the train passing West Hoathly, I believe that is me pictured in the brake van. From Horsted Keynes to Kingscote the train was hauled by the engine. At Kingscote the engine runs round, to enable the formation to be propelled up the northern extension to the railhead. The northern extension is a siding under an Engineers' Possession. The return journey back to Horsted Keynes is hauled by the engine as per your photo.

You will find several pictures of various engineering trains in my collection here >>> http://gallery74781.fotopic.net/c437580_1.html

Chris (Passenger/Goods Guard)

Old 11th November 2010, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
It's a small world !!!

From the first image of the train passing West Hoathly, I believe that is me pictured in the brake van. From Horsted Keynes to Kingscote the train was hauled by the engine. At Kingscote the engine runs round, to enable the formation to be propelled up the northern extension to the railhead. The northern extension is a siding under an Engineers' Possession. The return journey back to Horsted Keynes is hauled by the engine as per your photo.

You will find several pictures of various engineering trains in my collection here >>> http://gallery74781.fotopic.net/c437580_1.html

Chris (Passenger/Goods Guard)
Small world indeed! The date was Thursday 18th August 2005 if that helps. Is the remaining tip material all to be removed via East Grinstead or will we see a return to these workings via Kingscote?
Some really good & interesting shots on the fotopic site.

Tony

Last edited by TRP; 11th November 2010 at 11:48.
Old 12th November 2010, 12:08

Additional track to extend the running line up to the face of the waste tip, along with a temporary siding to aid loading, are being laid as I write this. It is unlikely that there will be any trains transporting waste material northwards via East Grinstead to an in-fill waste site in Bedfordshire until March/April 2011 at the earliest. How many weeks the next run of waste removal will comprise depends upon how much of the outstanding £2½ million needed to clear the waste tip has been raised by that time.

At the southern end, there is no decision at this time as to when the next spoil trains will convey further inert spoil down to Horsted Keynes.

Chris
Old 12th November 2010, 18:38

I was wondering why the trackbed was being reballasted at double track width.
Then I read the comments.
http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bl...whats_new.html

Which direction will the siding face?

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 13th November 2010, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughman View Post
Which direction will the siding face?
As far as I'm aware the siding will be such so as to allow a formation of wagons to be shunted towards the waste tip so the vehicles can loaded with waste material.

Chris
Old 21st November 2010, 19:40

Click on the thumbnail below to view the siding point being laid. The camera is looking south towards Hill Place Farm Bridge and the waste tip beyond.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg track_patp0206_19nov10q.jpg (46.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Axe; 21st November 2010 at 19:42.