16:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

new class 70s

Old 7th January 2011, 14:28

Reported on 'wnxx.com' today 70012 was dropped 20' during unloading at Newport. If the reports are true and not exaggerated and the fall was unsupported then the damage must be massive!

Old 7th January 2011, 14:42

Reported on another forum to have caused "Half a million pounds worth ........................of improvements"!

Regards, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 7th January 2011 at 14:42. Reason: typo
Old 7th January 2011, 15:02

Having worked in a large not very good firm who used to manufacture cars in East London. The vehicles I have seen damaged before delivery was numerous, one instance the drivers door being fully opened backwards during a collision in the stock compound. The car were still delivered 'Brand New' after repair to the unsuspecting purchaser. Accidents happen! that's why Insurance Companies exist.

Last edited by Seabrook; 7th January 2011 at 15:05.
Old 7th January 2011, 17:49

Angry Burton Salmon

A 70 went through Burton Salmon with only one coal wagon on Tuesday.
Yes I had just got back in the car so missed the photograph
Old 7th January 2011, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
Reported on 'wnxx.com' today 70012 was dropped 20' during unloading at Newport. If the reports are true and not exaggerated and the fall was unsupported then the damage must be massive!
Lots of reports but most say 15feet and that H&S have confiscated the lifting rigs

The loco apparently has not been removed from the ship and will not be but returned to Canada

there are reports of an American Scrap company is already in place BUT this is probably spurious as Insurance inspectors have not been allowed on ship and the loco and ship are in the hands of the H&S Exec

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 7th January 2011, 19:10

Hello all, I heard that they're going to send 012 back to the U.S. where as soon as it lands the Yanks are gonna scrap it, as far as i know the Americans have been sending there rubbish over here for a few years now what with all the 66's or Sheds running around on the network anything British Built get Scrapped these days what a shame.......So much for Great Britian.
Old 7th January 2011, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnwr20 View Post
Hello all, I heard that they're going to send 012 back to the U.S. where as soon as it lands the Yanks are gonna scrap it, as far as i know the Americans have been sending there rubbish over here for a few years now what with all the 66's or Sheds running around on the network anything British Built get Scrapped these days what a shame.......So much for Great Britian.
The Sheds are Now Europe wide but the best bit is the Class 58's in Holland and Spain Not to forget the 03's in Italy and I believe there are some 37's in Spain too

Wish we could get the Government to help Think about the 8F's that are being bought back from Turkey

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 7th January 2011, 20:06

As a 'glass half empty' sort of person I should point out that it could have been worse. At least when it fell back into the ship it didn't go through the bottom. Acccording to Wonkypedia it weighs 129 T !

That would have been a cra**y day for someone.
Old 7th January 2011, 23:06

there was a traffic report on classic fm this afternoon they said a lorry had shed its load of train engines.i have never seen more than one engine per lorry
may be they were small industrials
anyone know what happened?
Old 7th January 2011, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchesterken View Post
there was a traffic report on classic fm this afternoon they said a lorry had shed its load of train engines.i have never seen more than one engine per lorry
may be they were small industrials
anyone know what happened?
Perhaps they meant 'engines' as in internal combustion engines, rather than 'engines' as in locos ?

FP