15:24

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

new class 70s

Old 23rd December 2010, 23:12

A report on wnxx that the ship with the next batch on board 70008-70012, "Has at last set set sail".

Regards, 62440.

Old 23rd December 2010, 23:23

Some reinforcements are on their way. Presently meandering through the St Lawrence Seaway after being loaded on the 'Beluga Endurance' at Erie for shipment to Newport, Wales. Hopefully they may be more reliable than the first arrivals which have a very poor record for snags and running-in problems! They are also far more complicated than the GM machines they will replace.
Old 24th December 2010, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
Some reinforcements are on their way. ....<snip>..... Hopefully they may be more reliable than the first arrivals which have a very poor record for snags and running-in problems! They are also far more complicated than the GM machines they will replace.
Sounds like you know a little more than you're letting on....Go on, dish the dirt.
Old 24th December 2010, 15:35

More are on the way, due to arrive early January, as per this press release from the manufacturers a few days ago:-

GE Transportation has shipped a second batch of five Class 70 PowerHaul locomotives to Freightliner in the UK. Part of a 30-unit order placed in 2007, they join the seven that went into service in November 2009. The locomotives were shipped from the Port of Erie to Newport in South Wales and are anticipated to arrive early January.

The PowerHaul Series represents GE Transportation’s first entry to the UK and European market place. The PowerHaul Locomotive recently made its international debut at InnoTrans, the world’s largest rail trade show in Berlin, generating great interest among European as well as Asian railways.
“We are gratified that Freightliner already has been honored by the U.K. rail industry for their success in deploying GE’s new PowerHaul Series Locomotive,” said Lorenzo Simonelli, President and CEO of GE Transportation. “It is a strong validation of our strategy of serving rail customers worldwide when the industry itself recognizes the PowerHaul performance advantage. We look forward to even more success for Freightliner with the addition of this latest shipment to their fleet.”
The locomotives shipped by sea today from the Port of Erie to the Port of Newport in South Wales, U.K., and are anticipated to arrive early January.
Leading Technology
The PowerHaul Series Locomotive is GE’s most technologically advanced, fuel-efficient and low-emissions diesel-electric freight locomotive to date.
The 129-ton PowerHaul Series locomotive is designed to generate more horsepower and tractive effort while lowering fuel consumption and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions than locomotives currently in use. The locomotive features several leading technologies to achieve this performance including the new V16-cylinder, twin-turbo PowerHaul Series engine -- a product of ecomaginationSM. Ecomagination is a GE-wide initiative to help meet customer demand for more energy-efficient products.
This 3,700-horsepower engine is EU Stage IIIa emissions certified. Combined with other technologies the engine is projected to reduce PowerHaul locomotive fuel use by approximately 9% compared to current operating fleet averages. This fuel savings also will reduce GHG emissions over a typical duty cycle and overall operating costs.
GE’s unique AC individual-axle traction-control technology enables the PowerHaul Series to haul heavier loads by significantly reducing slippage on start-ups, inclines and suboptimal track conditions.
The PowerHaul Series also features dynamic braking in addition to air brakes to provide smoother handling when hauling heavier loads.
With GE’s traction advantage Freightliner now is able to save time and money by using a shorter, more direct route with a steeper incline for hauling coal on the Bristol-Rugeley power station run. This economical route was unusable by its older fleet locomotives that had to take a longer, indirect route because they could not cope with the incline.
Due to the PowerHaul locomotive’s increased hauling capability compared to its older fleet locomotives, Freightliner also is experimenting with up to 25% longer trains to reduce traffic congestion on the rail network such as on the North London line.
Old 24th December 2010, 21:04

All very impressive, I'm sure, but it's a great pity more thought (SOME thought?) wasn't put into the aesthetic side of things. As my dear old mum used to say, they're " as ugly as a robber's dog." And that's her polite version!
Her OTHER polite expression was "as ugly as a dog's bum with a hat on."

Merry Christmas all.
Old 24th December 2010, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
All very impressive, I'm sure, but it's a great pity more thought (SOME thought?) wasn't put into the aesthetic side of things. As my dear old mum used to say, they're " as ugly as a robber's dog." And that's her polite version!
Her OTHER polite expression was "as ugly as a dog's bum with a hat on."

Merry Christmas all.
Not ugly !

More "purposeful"
Old 24th December 2010, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Not ugly ! More "purposeful"
They say that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"; Bramleyman reckons that 37s are ugly - naaah - they're terrific - PROPER diesels! And I always thought 'Warships' were good looking things myself, but find 31s sadly lacking in looks...
Those North British diesel-hydraulics always looked like their noses had been bitten off to spite their faces!
Old 24th December 2010, 22:04
Station Manager

Having now seen one in the "metal" I think they look better than I had feared!

The Bachmann Model also looks more attractive than I expected.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 24th December 2010, 23:09

I do have to admit, although I dislike them, I do want to see one in the 'metal'.
Where would be the best place to see one?
Old 25th December 2010, 00:36

Get to play with my "Bachmann Model" class 70 tomorrow,like big kid...........