18:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Tail lamps.....

Old 24th October 2010, 09:58

Whilst a Guard at Huddersfield, we had oil tail lamp on the rear of DMU's. This was changed in 1982 to two electric lights built into the the DMU. These were operated from switches in the cab of the unit.
The tail light is on the train to inform the signalman/others that the train is complete.
The definition of a trian is;
' A collection of vehicles, complete with a tail lamp. '

Old 24th October 2010, 12:32

I've got a BR tail lamp in what I suppose could be described as mint condition.
It was one of the last batch manufactured before the switchover to electric lamps, and it never saw use - when I got hold of it, the lamp was still encased in the original BR brown paper wrapping!
Old 24th October 2010, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
If thats the case give me 4 weeks road learning.
Be delighted please put an application form in (in triplicate of course! )
Old 26th October 2010, 14:20

My understanding regarding the lamps on stops is that a white light is used where it is considered that a red lamp could be confused with nearby red signals by passing drivers. The instructions we have (G.E area) is that units stabled on sidings must display lights of the same colour as that on the stops.
Old 26th October 2010, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
Be delighted please put an application form in (in triplicate of course! )
At HM if you wanted to go skive off for a month or two, you would nock a few routes off your route card, so the roster clerk, would give you a couple of weeks to RL.
This was done on 12 hours a day.
Sometimes you might miss a couple of days and not bother going in.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
At HM if you wanted to go skive off for a month or two, you would nock a few routes off your route card, so the roster clerk, would give you a couple of weeks to RL.
This was done on 12 hours a day.
Sometimes you might miss a couple of days and not bother going in.
You wouldn't get away with that at Saltley if you tried to remove a "road" off your card they checked up when you last went over the route,if it was a reasonably long time you would perhaps get a days "road review" !
Old 27th October 2010, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxokid View Post
Only oil lamp i have is an old Dorman smith 1977 yellow road lamp........makes great little heater in my greenhouse........
I've got something very similar, which I fitted up with an electric light bulb - I used to use it as a safety lamp when developing & printing my black & white railway photos!
Old 27th October 2010, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
You wouldn't get away with that at Saltley if you tried to remove a "road" off your card they checked up when you last went over the route,if it was a reasonably long time you would perhaps get a days "road review" !
We had road review built into the links at HM.
As for management they were not bothered so long as the trains were runing.
Old 30th October 2010, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxokid View Post
Another thing i was wondering,was the tail lamps the same onces used on siding buffer stops??
very interesting thread regarding tail lights/bufferstop lamps.I personally cant remember seeing white lights on blocks but maybe I cant remember such,some blocks had a particular type of lamp red painted bit like a tail light to look at but different. Just for the benefit of members who have never worked or even seen oil tail l regardingamps could I just say what a very reliable tool they were when you think of the traffic in their hay day,all complete with tail lamp.Providing the reservoir was full of oil the wick was trimmed ie not carboned up and burnt, long enough that is was in the oil,there was no damage to the lamp its self, door closed and fastened properly no gaps, that lamp would stay lit in any weather for a couple of days.the same could be said for the thousands of signal lamps which were looked after by "the lamp man" usually lamped weekly they used to walk miles to distant signals.I think the replies from the various lads on this subject of electric tail lights coming in is about as close as you will get considering the size of the network.I can remember in the 60/70s there was a programme on BBC tv called Tomorrows World and they were showing an electric flashing tail light that they said would be taken up by British Rail to replace oil tail lamps on trains,I remember saying to my wife no way will the railway have a flashing light on the back of a train,few years later how wrong was I.One comment made was regarding a red light being displayed to an approaching driver, can anybody remember in serious freight brakevan days when the guard in a van with side lights would take the shade out of the lamp next to a running line in the same direction so as the driver would know he was passing the rear of a train moving in the same direction on maybe the slow line or a loop.this of course was when all goods trains had brake vans. Happy days Jim
Old 30th October 2010, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim d View Post
very interesting thread regarding tail lights/bufferstop lamps.I personally cant remember seeing white lights on blocks but maybe I cant remember such,some blocks had a particular type of lamp red painted bit like a tail light to look at but different. Just for the benefit of members who have never worked or even seen oil tail l regardingamps could I just say what a very reliable tool they were when you think of the traffic in their hay day,all complete with tail lamp.Providing the reservoir was full of oil the wick was trimmed ie not carboned up and burnt, long enough that is was in the oil,there was no damage to the lamp its self, door closed and fastened properly no gaps, that lamp would stay lit in any weather for a couple of days.the same could be said for the thousands of signal lamps which were looked after by "the lamp man" usually lamped weekly they used to walk miles to distant signals.I think the replies from the various lads on this subject of electric tail lights coming in is about as close as you will get considering the size of the network.I can remember in the 60/70s there was a programme on BBC tv called Tomorrows World and they were showing an electric flashing tail light that they said would be taken up by British Rail to replace oil tail lamps on trains,I remember saying to my wife no way will the railway have a flashing light on the back of a train,few years later how wrong was I.One comment made was regarding a red light being displayed to an approaching driver, can anybody remember in serious freight brakevan days when the guard in a van with side lights would take the shade out of the lamp next to a running line in the same direction so as the driver would know he was passing the rear of a train moving in the same direction on maybe the slow line or a loop.this of course was when all goods trains had brake vans. Happy days Jim
A good place for removing shades on BV's was from York to Church Fenton on the up and down