16:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

End of the line for EWS?

Old 23rd April 2010, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
I am ex BR and also worked for EWS from day 1.
As a trade union rep at National Level and also at my depot I have worked with company directors and local managers.
The whole management culture on EWS revolves around bully boy tactics from all levels of the management strata.
They do not care about certain sections of staff, and thier MO is to reduce staffing levels at all costs, using any means at thier disposal.
This includes implimenting work rosters, ignoring local agreements made under the Partneship Agreements.
The managers will lie and cheat in thier dealings with staff, and cannot be trusted in any way shape or form.
We had an MD from Canada, and now he has gone home, in my view thats the best place for him.
I am glad that I took the money when I did, cos that brass is better in my pocket then in EWS's pocket.
This is my opinion on this company but is bourne out all over the system when you talk to other staff.
I think this is the description of most companies in this day and age sadly. All too familiar story.

Old 24th April 2010, 16:14

Quote:
I am ex BR and also worked for EWS from day 1.
As a trade union rep at National Level and also at my depot I have worked with company directors and local managers.
The whole management culture on EWS revolves around bully boy tactics from all levels of the management strata.
They do not care about certain sections of staff, and thier MO is to reduce staffing levels at all costs, using any means at thier disposal.
This includes implimenting work rosters, ignoring local agreements made under the Partneship Agreements.
The managers will lie and cheat in thier dealings with staff, and cannot be trusted in any way shape or form.
We had an MD from Canada, and now he has gone home, in my view thats the best place for him.
I am glad that I took the money when I did, cos that brass is better in my pocket then in EWS's pocket.
This is my opinion on this company but is bourne out all over the system when you talk to other staff.
I couldn't agree with you more mate,I spent 43 years on the footplate at Saltley and upto "privatisation" the job was brilliant,even when we were "sectorised" in 1994 and became an Railfreight Distribution Depot,things were fine.Then in 1998/99 RfD was "given" to EWS and the rot well and truly set in
I lasted until 2006 and thankfully "threw the towel" in and got out.The so called management of EWS are the worst managers I've ever worked under/with in all my 43 years service,and you're right they are just a bunch of "bully-boys" and nothing else.I realy feel sory for the younger drivers with no where else to go,however things might now change with DB in charge,I certainly hope so.
Old 25th April 2010, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
I couldn't agree with you more mate,I spent 43 years on the footplate at Saltley and upto "privatisation" the job was brilliant,even when we were "sectorised" in 1994 and became an Railfreight Distribution Depot,things were fine.Then in 1998/99 RfD was "given" to EWS and the rot well and truly set in
I lasted until 2006 and thankfully "threw the towel" in and got out.The so called management of EWS are the worst managers I've ever worked under/with in all my 43 years service,and you're right they are just a bunch of "bully-boys" and nothing else.I realy feel sory for the younger drivers with no where else to go,however things might now change with DB in charge,I certainly hope so.
Thanks for that Brother, I'm glad someone I do not know concurs with what I have written.
Do you work for West coast Railways?
Old 27th April 2010, 22:13

Quote:
Thanks for that Brother, I'm glad someone I do not know concurs with what I have written.
Do you work for West coast Railways?
No sir when I retired in 2006 that was the end for me,I haven't really been near a railway since.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:26

I met a driver on Saturday who was with EWS in Birmingham with the same amount of service as yourself. This driver now works for West Coast Railways.
I had just gone to Dawlish on a Green Party Express, that originated in Leeds.
He brought the train from Birmingham to Dawlish and return back to Brum.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:56

Quote:
I met a driver on Saturday who was with EWS in Birmingham with the same amount of service as yourself. This driver now works for West Coast Railways.
I had just gone to Dawlish on a Green Party Express, that originated in Leeds.
He brought the train from Birmingham to Dawlish and return back to Brum.
I think that one of our "retired" drivers may have joined WCR and also a couple of ex Saltley DSM's (I think in the good old days they would be known as "Traction Inspectors")although in the case of the two in mind I use the words very liberally!
Old 21st May 2010, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
<snip>Then in 1998/99 RfD was "given" to EWS and the rot well and truly set in. Snip>
I hope you don't blame EWS completely for the problems that they had with the RfD section. I think the guy in charge of that company prior to privatisation was Ian Brown and if I remember correctly, he spat his dummy out and poisoned the well just prior to him leaving because he didn't get his own way, and EWS had to pick up the pieces.
Old 21st May 2010, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
I hope you don't blame EWS completely for the problems that they had with the RfD section. I think the guy in charge of that company prior to privatisation was Ian Brown and if I remember correctly, he spat his dummy out and poisoned the well just prior to him leaving because he didn't get his own way, and EWS had to pick up the pieces.
The true fact of the matter is that RfD and Freightliner should never,ever have been separated and should have continued as an entity,this stupid decision was made by the same "stupid" government that "privatised" the railway system in 1994 and we now know the consequences ! Typical Tory party Dogma !!
Ian Brown was indeed the CEO of RfD and was dedicated to the cause of making RfD a major player in European Freight haulage through the Channel Tunnel,however certain things prevented this,one was the increase of "illegals" who seemed to travel thro' the Tunnel at will,which didn't do the "cause" much good,also you still had the "road haulage lobby" to contend with, something that is still and will be with us for the forseeable future.
The truth is that nobody wants "Railfreight" to succeed because it could be too cost effective !
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:29

'RfD and Freightliner should never,ever have been separated' The truth is Freightliner were taken over by their management who understood the strengths of the product and had built up good relationships with the transport and shipping companies they served. RFD on the other hand had a new business, new or refurbished terminals mainly sighted in places for political reasons. Stratford, Willesden, Manchester, Wakefield, Wentloog. Most now closed or hobbling along. RFD was a company whose entire business was dependent on the vagaries of French Trade Union disputes, something which would cause them damage when their trains couldn't run. The problem being they had no control of the running of their services being resourced by third party carriers. Whilst I would like to see all rail companies succeed I feel all RFD would have done is bring Freightliner down with it.
Old 30th May 2010, 03:16

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 UXU View Post
EWS need to give their locos a wash that would knock a tonne off each ones axle weight.
Lol..........