23:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Bristol’s Temple Meads Station

Old 23rd September 2008, 19:24
Station Manager

Bristol’s Temple Meads Station

Bristol’s Temple Meads Station has been awarded ‘Major Station of the Year’ at the National Railway Awards. The 130 year old station beat off Edinburgh’s Waverley and London’s Liverpool Street to win the award.
When the judges visited there were five ticket serving positions and 4 fast-ticket machines open and no queue. They also praised the catering and commented on the range of facilities for passengers which included a new indoor help desk on platform 3. They praised the station staff and described them as helpful and smart. They said the station had a general mood of calm amid the bustle. The station also has won the 'Bristol in Bloom' award for the last 2 years which helped towards the award.
The award ceremony was held at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel before an audience of 1,200 people.

Old 23rd September 2008, 23:55

Congratulations to them all.
On top of that it's a fabulous looking station as well.
Paul.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:51

Great to hear that, I have only visited TM once, but when I did it gave off the sense of history and grand underneath that roof. I think that station and York are the two best on the network when it comes to class.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:27
Station Manager

Temple Meads is a great Station. Very please that it has been honoured in this way.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 25th September 2008, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
Great to hear that, I have only visited TM once, but when I did it gave off the sense of history and grand underneath that roof. I think that station and York are the two best on the network when it comes to class.
As well as the wonderful roof, it has a lot to do with that sweeping curve on the track just like York.
Paul.
Old 26th September 2008, 17:30

Great award to have,
Old 30th September 2008, 19:39

Congratulations to them for the award and I have spent many a happy time in the platform track testing
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul miller View Post
As well as the wonderful roof, it has a lot to do with that sweeping curve on the track just like York.
Paul.
In the last issue of the Railway Magazine they had a great York city bird's eye view, really shows how immense the overall curve is around the city and how it links to the station. Must take a good 10-15 mins to get around that station, I certinately remember coming from Newcastle on a voyager down to York, and was passing the Yorkshire wheel for quite a long period of time before reacing York station.
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:27

In the latest edition of British Railways Illustrated there is a plan of York station and surrounding area. The curve just goes on forever.
Paul.
Old 30th December 2008, 01:44

temple meads

great to see it awarded, being from Bath origionally, a many a happy day at platform 12 on temple meads, sat on the parcle trolleys, a fantastic station at the time and still is. i went back 3 years ago, not knowing that the depot had long since past. as i wasnt spotting for 15 years. i do feel a that me childhood has been stolen. but hay well done temple meads.