02:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Swiss Narrow Gauge

Old 24th November 2005, 22:14

Swiss Narrow Gauge

So, there is a request for a narrow gauge thread, but nobody starts writing. This summer I made my most enjoyable railway trip on the Jungfrau railways up to the "Top of Europe"! For whose who dont know, visit their website. There were fully booked trains of Japanese tourists, then of Korean tourists, and from the world over. It's really a great network of railways on metre gauge and 800 mm gauge, dc and ac 3-phase electrification, and subway close to the Jungfrau peak! I think it is one of the miths train trips to railfan paradise!
Ok fellows, lets see something else about narrow gauge!

Old 12th August 2008, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario View Post
So, there is a request for a narrow gauge thread, but nobody starts writing. This summer I made my most enjoyable railway trip on the Jungfrau railways up to the "Top of Europe"! For whose who dont know, visit their website. There were fully booked trains of Japanese tourists, then of Korean tourists, and from the world over. It's really a great network of railways on metre gauge and 800 mm gauge, dc and ac 3-phase electrification, and subway close to the Jungfrau peak! I think it is one of the miths train trips to railfan paradise!
Ok fellows, lets see something else about narrow gauge!
Hi Dario,a bit late I know but just joined the forum and noticed your post.I've been on the JB twice whilst staying in Interlaken in 1999 and were trips I'll never forget! Yes,there were the hordes of Japanese there too but once outside and looking down the Aletsch Glacier you could forget all that.
Other Schmalspur (practising me Deutsch ) networks I've been on are the GFM from Montbovon to Gruyere,MOB from Montreux to Zweisimmen,Montreux to Rochers-de-Naye,MGB from Capolago to Monte Generoso,Appenzellerbahn from Herisau to Appenzell,RBS from Bern to Solothurn, SBB's only metre gauge line from Interlaken to Luzern - now Zentralbahn I think,ArthRigi bahn from Vitnau and Arth-Goldau to Rigi summit, GGB from Zermatt to Gornergrat and FO from Visp to Zermatt.
I have never been on the Rhatische Bahn but it's one of my ambitions to go over the Bernina Pass from St.Moritz to Tirano and Chur to St.Moritz.
Being lucky with the weather all the journeys were remarkable for the scenery and it would be difficult to select a favourite but the MOB takes some beating .
I've got some photos somewhere and I'll put 'em on.

I've got a feeling now that the GGB may be standard gauge or maybe I'm thinking about something else.I'm sure somebody will tell me .
Old 12th August 2008, 21:54

Have just the seen the post by Dario and 60074and as i've going to Switzerland since 1966 I think all the various gauges are worth travelling on although the one 60074 hasn't as yet travelled the Rhb is one of the finest metre gauges in Switzerland not only the Bernina but the Egadine and the Albula all take some beating. Of course if one can afford the Glacier Express this is one of the finest journeys in the world. I must add the whole route can be done in stages on ordinary service trains, although the proper Glacier Express is absolutely fantastic. I'll be going at the end of the month for another outing covering both the B.L.S and going over the Gotthard.
Hope you can see more of the country 60074

Davat
Old 12th August 2008, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by davat View Post
Have just the seen the post by Dario and 60074and as i've going to Switzerland since 1966 I think all the various gauges are worth travelling on although the one 60074 hasn't as yet travelled the Rhb is one of the finest metre gauges in Switzerland not only the Bernina but the Egadine and the Albula all take some beating. Of course if one can afford the Glacier Express this is one of the finest journeys in the world. I must add the whole route can be done in stages on ordinary service trains, although the proper Glacier Express is absolutely fantastic. I'll be going at the end of the month for another outing covering both the B.L.S and going over the Gotthard.
Hope you can see more of the country 60074

Davat
Hi Davat,we are going to Grindelwald on 1 Sept and I hope to go over the Lotschberg mountain line as I have never been over it before and would like some photos of the BLS especially the Rola trains.
The Rhb will have to wait until next year(hopefully) as I have read so much about it and have various videos and DVDs.The line from Bergun to Preda looks fascinating as does the one from Pontresina to Poschiavo.
I'm also hoping to sneak off to Erstfeld too

Chris.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60074 View Post
........................I've got a feeling now that the GGB may be standard gauge or maybe I'm thinking about something else.I'm sure somebody will tell me .
You were right in the first place place Chris. The GGB is metre gauge. It has a connection with the MGB that crosses the street outside Zermatt station.
Maybe you are thinking of the Rigi Bahn? That is standard gauge.

Last edited by swisstrains; 13th August 2008 at 10:44.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
You were right in the first place place Chris. The GGB is metre gauge. It has a connection with the MGB that crosses the street outside Zermatt station.
Maybe you are thinking of the Rigi Bahn? That is standard gauge.
Thanks for that John,you do get a bit confused as you get older .I knew there was a standard gauge mountain/rack line but I couldn't remember which one.

Chris.