12:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

My Modular Layout

Old 4th March 2012, 18:29
Station Manager

Thanks everyone.

I now have all the track down on the third base board and the basic wiring is complete. Had my three boards linked up with three other modules at Club last Wednesday and all working using DCC. We are planing to have seven modules linked up for the Exhibition on March 31st at The Strutt Centre, Belper.

I am now wiring up the point motors on the first board, quite a long task!

Best wishes,

John.

Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 4th May 2012, 19:20
Station Manager

Haven't posted in here for some time so there are quite a few updates. Try to do them over the next few days.

Best wishes,

John H-T
Old 11th February 2013, 13:41
Station Manager

The question from PeterJohn re: Foam Board prompted me to look at this thread again.

In spite of having to move there has been some progress which I will photograph and post.

As I mentioned in my response to PeterJohn I am now working on corner modules. All my modules are at club at the moment as I am trying to get sorted at home.

However the wiring of one module is now complete and seems to work OK.

Sadly the Will Valley Railway has to be committed to the list of "Never built layouts," although I have some part built baseboards but not the space to erect them. The On30 layout remains an idea for the future.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 14th November 2014, 15:57
Station Manager

I have made quite a bit of progress recently including two corner modules and wiring up points with decoders on two more baseboards. Need to take some photos to show progress.

The problem is that The Unknown warrior and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway take too much of my time!
Old 14th November 2014, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
I have made quite a bit of progress recently including two corner modules and wiring up points with decoders on two more baseboards. Need to take some photos to show progress.

The problem is that The Unknown warrior and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway take too much of my time!
Time is never on our side. I fully appreciate your predicament. Since I have gone semi-retired and just two days a week, one would think I have loads of time. It seldom works that way as I have found. In reality all the happen's is; we do more of all the things we could never do whilst working full time! However, on a brighter note i am enjoying immensely all that i am doing!!
Cheers
Phil
Old 15th November 2014, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post

In my opinion, time spent on the Unknown Warrior LMS Patriot Project is time very well spent - and that's from a part owner of a GWR locomotive!
Old 4th March 2015, 17:23
Station Manager

Again quite a bit more progress, wiring more or less complete on all five boards. Need to get it all set up at home so that I can get some photos.

Two weekends of Steal, Steam and Stars 4 with the Patriot Project, followed by Nottingham Show with a stand for the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway and the Patriot Project. Then Belper Show on March 28th to finish organizing could slow things down a bit!

John H-T.
Old 5th March 2015, 08:35

Very impressive John.
Stuart
Old 6th March 2015, 15:54

Hi John,
Do you get much time to eat and sleep? I have found that photographs of the latest venture tends to show up the flaws in what you thought was a perfect model. My layout (6' x 1') took about four months to construct and will take many more moons to iron out the wrinkles ! The other problems are the things that are forgotten in the rush of enthusiasm that needed to be incorporated at the planning stage such as remote uncoupling and signalling. Anyway, best of luck with your project.
Regards, Tony
Old 10th March 2015, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Hi John,
Do you get much time to eat and sleep? I have found that photographs of the latest venture tends to show up the flaws in what you thought was a perfect model. My layout (6' x 1') took about four months to construct and will take many more moons to iron out the wrinkles ! The other problems are the things that are forgotten in the rush of enthusiasm that needed to be incorporated at the planning stage such as remote uncoupling and signalling. Anyway, best of luck with your project.
Regards, Tony
Hi Tony
Is that an N gauge layout you are building? I would love to see your progress and the way it fits on a 6' x 1' board. I would like to do something like that size board and hopefully will one day in the not to distant future.
Good stuff
Cheers
Phil