03:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Belgian runaway train prompts alert

Old 19th February 2016, 13:30

Belgian runaway train prompts alert

An empty train travelled along tracks in Belgium for 30 minutes without a driver after the man left his cabin to investigate an engine fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35611868

Old 19th February 2016, 14:07

The runaway train came down the track and she blew,
The runaway train came down the track and she blew,
The runaway train came down the track, her whistle wide and her throttle back,
And she blew, blew, blew, blew, blew.

Soz,Couldn't resist it.
Stuart
Old 20th February 2016, 16:18

It's surprisingly easy to do this. On most multiple units in the UK if you have the desk energised and the train is standing still, you can release the brake and put the Master Controller into neutral. If there's any gradient the train will eventually start to roll.

There is a safety system to deal with this....but there's a catch. At around about 6 mph, depending on the traction unit, a relay operates the Speed Sense function. This is effectively a decision speed where certain criteria must be met, otherwise the Emergency Brake will be applied. In modern railway practice it's not allowed for the master controller to be in neutral whilst the train is under way, so once the train reaches 6 ish mph the SS relay operates and the train is brought to a stand.

Great - except that after a timeout period the Emergency Brake will release. If the train is still standing on a gradient then this process will happen again ,and keep on happening untiil something occurs to stop it.

As you would expect, the Rulebook is quite clear about preventing this. The driver must always 'secure the cab' before leaving it. This requires the brake to be put into Full Sevice, Master Switch to neutral, DRA applied if it's a passenger train, and the door locked so that no unauthorised person can get in.

Actually this nearly happened to me once. I was instructed to take my unit into a sidings and 'pump up' another one. The other unit had been 'cut out' all night and all the air had leaked out. This is quite safe because modern EMUs/DMUs have a spring operated Parking Brake which operates when the Brake Cylinder Reservoir air pressure drops, and then disengages automatically when the air pressure returns. Anyhow, when I coupled up to the dead unit much of my air transferred into it. This pressure drop caused my Emergency Brake to apply (as expected). At this point my head was full of technical issues and I left the brake controller in my cab in the off position. This was masked by the fact that the brake pressure gauge was showing a full emergency application. I then got out of my train and got into the cab facing me on the other train to monitor how it was pumping and see if I could get the pantograph to raise.

About 5 minutes later I had moved 2 coaches further down the dead train and was trying to tickle the auxilliary convertor into life when I heard a clunk and a loud long hiss. It was the brakes on the whole train releasing from the 5 bar Emergency state. This was because both units' Main Reservoir Pipes were now filled up and so the safety system allowed the train brakes to be released.

I hammered through the train and hurled myself onto the nearest Emergency Brake Plunger. Fortunately the train hadn't actually started to roll. Also this was off the mainline in the safety of a sidings where I had permission to move under my own authority. But it was still luck rather than good judgement which stopped an incident.

That's what happens when you let the technical needs distract you from good operating practice.

Hope this helps, BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 20th February 2016 at 16:31.
Old 20th February 2016, 18:32

Thanks BW.

Your first hand experiences on the railway make most interesting reading.
Old 20th February 2016, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Thanks BW.

Your first hand experiences on the railway make most interesting reading.
I'll second that. It's great to have someone on the forum with up to date knowledge of the railways.
Old 20th February 2016, 23:48

We've got a wealth of knowledge & experience on here. It's nice to be able to bring something in, as I spend most of my time reading other people's posts since I know very little about steam and diesel operations.

BW
Old 21st February 2016, 10:13

Thanks BR1B, a most interesting account.
Old 21st February 2016, 13:11

a few years ago i was on the platform at leeds when an HST began to move a member of the catering staff was shouting and attempting to hold the train back?? luckily a driver on the platform(not the hstdriver) jumped into the cab and stopped it.