20:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Golden Acre park locos

Old 27th October 2006, 23:08

Golden Acre park locos

While on a visit to Cleethorpes today a ride on the railway was a must do. I came across two locos one of which I was familiar with but at that time the other was a mystery to me. On asking about the two locos I was told that they had originally been built by Hudswell Clarke for the Golden Acre miniature railway in Leeds back in 1932 and 1933. One engine called Robin Hood I recognised as being the 4.6.4 tank engine I have a works photo of but the 4.6.2 tender engine I was told had been called May Thompson. Further questioning revealed that these two locos will be going to Scarborough to run on the North Bay railway there but that was as much information as I was able to find out. It would account for Robin Hood having NBR on the bunker side which I assume is for North Bay Railway rather than for North British Railway.
Being interested in products from Hudswell Clarke I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to the history of the locos between the Golden Acre Park and me finding them at Cleethorpes and also when this move temporay or otherwise to scarborough will take place. Also noticed at Cleethorpes were som carriages with typical Hudswell Clarke underframes of the 1930s period and all in what through the fence looke in reasonable condition.

John

Old 9th December 2006, 14:29

Yes the engines above have now moved to North Bay, though not pulling passenger trains yet, they are currently on display.