10:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Wells & Walsingham Line

Old 3rd September 2008, 16:14

Wells & Walsingham Line

The Narrow Gauge line that operates between Wells & Walsingham in Norfolk, has been recently plagued by vandals in more ways than one.

Over the last weekend, youths were seen and caught throwing stones at the train, then some wedged some stones between the rails at an unused farm crossing causing the locomotive to topple over, fortunately leaving the coaches upright and the driver being able to jump clear without injury. The youths are also reported to have let the crossing gate swing over the line endangering both crew and passengers lives.

One person later claimed he Had no choice other than to walk a mile back to Wells because no contingency plan was put in place following the derailment, but then I wonder just how soon he expected them to get alternative transport in place, or come to that if he went to enquire as to the driver and whether he was hurt or not?

Old 4th September 2008, 10:27

Yet again life is endangered by reckless idiots. I hope that if they get caught that they'll recieve a suitable punishment.
Old 4th September 2008, 14:54
SouthernSteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi View Post
Yet again life is endangered by reckless idiots. I hope that if they get caught that they'll recieve a suitable punishment.
Funniest thing I have read in ages! Oh, no, wait you're serious??? Nothing will happen, this is Britain. IF they ever got caught no-one will dare take responsibility and punish them because they are poor little angels....

Easier to speed the trains up in the hope of running them over, I certainly wouldn't even think of braking should I have seen them on the line....
Old 6th September 2008, 15:51

Yet another story of mindless vandalism! As the consequences of these acts could be injury or death it is time these crimes were treated with the severity they deserve! Probably only a few points off a safari or something though!
Richard
Old 7th September 2008, 13:38

I have heard that Police arrested a 13-year-old in connection with this, but whether or not they have charged him with any offence, I do not know.
Old 7th September 2008, 14:14
Registered Member

The police and the courts are powerless to act against young offenders, they just caution them. When I was a lad policemen schoolteachers and parents had control but sadly not now.