20:19

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

New Diesel Locomotive

Old 23rd September 2009, 22:31

The word GHASTLY comes to mind. But I can't use the adjective I have in mind to put before it on here, or I'll get banned!

Old 24th September 2009, 22:49

But Dumbo only really describes the overall body shape which has already been adequately described by the "Bones" nickname given to Class 58's. It's the square bumps that most people find unusual/strange so shouldn't the nickname concentrate on them?...........how's about "Funny Bones"?
Old 24th September 2009, 23:07

Like I said earlier, the emphasis was on the DUMB of Dumbo! There's always 'turds', I suppose....

Incidentally, while I'm here, I should mention that I recently spent nearly three weeks roaming the rails, courtesy of two Rail Rover tickets, as a result of which, I've added EIGHTEEN new collections to my Fotopic site:
http://daverowland.fotopic.net/
with another due to be started tomorrow. There's railway photos from these locations: Shrewsbury, Wrexham, Chester, Hooton, Helsby, Crewe, Basford Hall, Gresty Bridge, Stafford, Liverpool, Acton Bridge, Manchester, Stoke, Wigan, Warrington, Sheffield, Derby, Doncaster, Peterborough, Leicester, Nottingham, Lincoln, Barnetby, Worksop, Bedford, Wellingborough, Bletchley & Milton Keynes, among other places. Also collections from Barrow Hill Roundhouse, Elsecar, The Museum of Science & Industry, The Kelham island Museum, The Great Central Railway at Loughborough, and a day on the Sheffield Trams; plus a load of bus photos, and some Nottingham trams.
Might be something there to interest someone?

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 24th September 2009 at 23:08. Reason: tpo
Old 25th September 2009, 00:41

I actually think we will come to like them, a bit like we got used to the first Ford Sierra's !!!!!!!
Old 25th September 2009, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwall View Post
I actually think we will come to like them...
I don't suppose you're far wrong; the rail enthusiast has a tendency to detest all that is new, after all, it generally means that old favourites will be getting the old heave-ho; and all new stuff will remain unpopular until such time as it, itself, becomes yet another endangered species, and then schemes will abound left right & centre to preserve as many as possible. We're a fickle lot, really! They ARE bl**dy ugly though, nevertheless...
Old 25th September 2009, 09:18
garethtaylor1

I think ugly is the word for the new locos.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Like I said earlier, the emphasis was on the DUMB of Dumbo! There's always 'turds', I suppose....

Incidentally, while I'm here, I should mention that I recently spent nearly three weeks roaming the rails, courtesy of two Rail Rover tickets, as a result of which, I've added EIGHTEEN new collections to my Fotopic site:
http://daverowland.fotopic.net/
with another due to be started tomorrow. There's railway photos from these locations: Shrewsbury, Wrexham, Chester, Hooton, Helsby, Crewe, Basford Hall, Gresty Bridge, Stafford, Liverpool, Acton Bridge, Manchester, Stoke, Wigan, Warrington, Sheffield, Derby, Doncaster, Peterborough, Leicester, Nottingham, Lincoln, Barnetby, Worksop, Bedford, Wellingborough, Bletchley & Milton Keynes, among other places. Also collections from Barrow Hill Roundhouse, Elsecar, The Museum of Science & Industry, The Kelham island Museum, The Great Central Railway at Loughborough, and a day on the Sheffield Trams; plus a load of bus photos, and some Nottingham trams.
Might be something there to interest someone?
I will assume from that outburst and the EIGHTEEN references to the “F” word that you don’t approve of my alternative nickname suggestions.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:54

Not at all, I just think it would inevitably get shortened to 'bones', 'new bones' or something of that ilk. Maybe not; I suppose only time will tell! How about 'Ugs' - short for ugly?
Old 25th September 2009, 18:45

Quote:
Not at all, I just think it would inevitably get shortened to 'bones', 'new bones' or something of that ilk.................
Yes, you're probably right. "Funny bones" is a bit long-winded.

Quote:
How about 'Ugs' - short for ugly?
I like that. I also like Deathbyteacup's "Warts" suggestion. You could also go one step further and call them "Toads" (green and yellow with warts ) or would some enthusiasts get confused with GWR brakevans?
Old 25th September 2009, 21:33

Perhaps the engine sound may influence a nickname ? It could sound awesome, like a 40 crossed with a deltic, and make up for it's controversial looks.