19:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

How can people not notice A0 sized posters?

Old 3rd July 2007, 13:54

How can people not notice A0 sized posters?

Many stations now have A0 sized posters displayed saying that smoking is now forbidden everywhere at all train stations including on platforms which are partly or fully exposed. Yet some people still light cigerattes while in the ticket office or on the platform.

Old 3rd July 2007, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh1983 View Post
Many stations now have A0 sized posters displayed saying that smoking is now forbidden everywhere at all train stations including on platforms which are partly or fully exposed. Yet some people still light cigerattes while in the ticket office or on the platform.
I don't think it's a case of not seeing the posters.....they just choose to ignore them. Last week at Manchester Piccadilly (which was non-smoking even before July 1st) one woman was lighting up right below the Tannoy speaker as it was blaring out the "do not smoke" message Despite the new legislation they will continue to get away with it because very few people are willing to confront them for fear of a violent reaction. We are living in a country where a rapidly growing number of people have a total disregard for law and order and the feelings of others.
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:47

Some people really dont care.

Others do it on purpose because they think is is yet another petty law by an authoritarian goverment and they want to object.

As a non smoker, I think smoking is revolting. But all these Nanny State laws are worse. You know, I might even take up smoking on principle.
Old 7th July 2007, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
Others do it on purpose because they think is is yet another petty law by an authoritarian goverment and they want to object.

As a non smoker, I think smoking is revolting. But all these Nanny State laws are worse. You know, I might even take up smoking on principle.
I have to claim a vested interest here, since I am a cancer-stick addict.

I think everyone is aware of the new legislation introduced on the 1st of July, yet most people aren't aware of the actual details of what isn't & is allowed. (A quick resume is any covered area with 51% or more of the walled area 'walled' results in a ban.)

Notwork Rail in their wisdom (please note I am a big fan of irony) have used the legislation as an excuse to ban smoking on its stations (but not car parks!).

Off-topic, I love the idea that the government is happy to fleece me over the odds with its taxation of ciggies & equally happy to tell me where I can't indulge in my LEGAL habit.

I wonder if Notwork rail has any qualms over receiving rent from station shops that profit from cigarette sales?

Notwork Rail aren't alone in trying it on. Centro, my local pta, are also equally culpable. Here are two examples of its bus shelters (both of which AREN'T affected by the new rules) :

http://dave420.fotopic.net/p42864296.html
http://dave420.fotopic.net/p42864292.html

(You can also see more examples of centro's competence by viewing other pics in that collection)

I'd like to point out before any non-smokers complain about me polluting the air around them, this is a Railway forum & regardless of traction, railways are a big pollutant of our air. Shall we lobby our government to outlaw trains?

I'll leave my last comment on this subject to another of my pics: (don't click this link if you are easily offended)

http://dave420.fotopic.net/p42864572.html

Dave.
- A considerate smoker who can control his addiction around non-smokers & happily use a non-smoking room in a pub etc without being treated like a pariah by the government.
Old 7th July 2007, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave47549 View Post
..............................- A considerate smoker who can control his addiction around non-smokers & happily use a non-smoking room in a pub etc without being treated like a pariah by the government.
Dave I can sympathise with you. I smoked for nearly 40 years and for most of that time worked in an oil refinery where, for obvious reasons, smoking areas were few and far between.
Like you, I always tried to be considerate to non-smokers and generally I didn't encounter any problems. Unfortunately there are a great number of people who are not so considerate and it is because of them that restrictions have to be introduced.
Old 7th July 2007, 21:30

I think stations are covered by the act. Anyway Ive seen over the years companies build 'bus shelter' type shelters for their workers to go and have a smoke in. Yet as real bus shelters are no meant to be smoke free does that mean having a fag in a smoking shelter is no against the law?
Old 8th July 2007, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWR9600 View Post
I think stations are covered by the act. Anyway Ive seen over the years companies build 'bus shelter' type shelters for their workers to go and have a smoke in. Yet as real bus shelters are no meant to be smoke free does that mean having a fag in a smoking shelter is no against the law?
This is not quite so. To repeat, any roofed 'building' with 50% or more of its walled area 'not walled' is NOT non-smoking. More details:

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/wh...ick-guide.html

Therefore, the shelters that I mentioned earlier (see post above) are NOT included in the ban (I'll leave you to use your own judgment on whether they're being overzealous or simply don't understand the legislation themselves). Open platforms certainly aren't subject to the legislation.

However, Notwork rail have taken the decision to ban smoking on all Station areas (except car parks - strange), possibly to save themselves hassle in dealing with the different legislation that applies in Wales & Scotland. To do this, they have used some arcane by-law which i have yet to find to research.

I don't propose to labour (pun intended) this subject any further, everyone will have their own personal view on the basis of this subject - justifiable legislation to stamp out a vile antisocial habit or gross abuse of political power regarding a legal activity. What is relevant is that in these times of heightened security, you're more likely to be given grief for being in possession of a lighted tab than you ever will be for carrying a device for the purpose of blowing up people & property.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:44

Exclamation

Personally i'm a non smoker but i don't mind people smoking around me. I've grown up with my parents smoking around me so it does not bother me. If i didnt like the smoke i could easily move to where there is none. Why should people be forced out into the rain just for a ciggie? This law is cr*p.
Old 8th July 2007, 14:16

Despite the new legislation they will continue to get away with it because very few people are willing to confront them for fear of a violent reaction.

And of course this is why we have the BTP on all large stations up and down the country. If they are there and can be bothered to come out of their nice warm office.

Les