14:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Station Pilot

Old 11th December 2006, 22:00
Registered Member

Station Pilot

One of the turns at Enfield was a week on station pilot,as a young passed cleaner I did not like this job as it meant remaining within the station limits all day. I liked it better to be out on the road, having said that,the pilot job had it's perks.to start with not much shovelling had to be done,so there was no hard work. As well as that it was usually the pilot where the driver first let you have a go on the regulator. In those days Enfield goods yard was fairly busy, there was plenty of coal waggons all owned by different coal merchants. Sometimes the coal merchant would ask a fireman to empty a full coal waggon into one of the coal bays for him. He would pay about 3 quid to whoever did this job, I did it once and was so tired when I'd finished, I can't remember how much coal the waggons held, it was a few tons. Of course the driver had to agree as it left him alone on the engine to shunt the yard. Whatever money was earned was split half each.
Alan Locojoe

Last edited by locojoe; 11th December 2006 at 22:05.