09:50

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Manchester to Birmingham trains to go through Stockport station

Old 7th December 2007, 10:13

Manchester to Birmingham trains to go through Stockport station

http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/ne...assing_through

I've noticed some carriages have been removed from Voyager trains recently. Maybe, Arriva think that having less trains stopping at Stockport will lower passenger numbers in the Manchester area meaning carriages can be moved to other areas with busy trains and then it will look like Arriva are doing a good job at reducing overcrowding.

Old 7th December 2007, 12:23

What a stupid idea- OK I have heared of trains that avoid busy stations as part of special flagship services (e.g. MML Master Cutler). But that is ridiculous. There are usually many passengers using each XC train at Stockport. I ave been on some trains that are not that full outof Manchester.

What I think might have been a more sensible solution would be to have some services using the Manchester-Styal line and call at Wilmslow (since this station has seen a major decrease in intercity services) at least then Stockport passengers could connect with ATW or Northern to Wilmslow, rather than travelling North to Manchester and back down again.

Last edited by martin adamson; 7th December 2007 at 12:42.
Old 8th December 2007, 11:40

I think they have been moved for refurbishment as there is a plan to remove the shop and on of the toilets so it may be the only way that they can do this.

As by re-moving the carrage the train can stay in traffic especially if they havent got many or any spares.

Not shure but think one or two of the sets of voyagers had carriges removed when with virgin as i remeber reading about one having engine trouble.