03:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

The 2010 RTR ranges.

Old 27th December 2009, 19:24

Does anyone know what Bachmann is planning?

You know I think it is fairly safe to say that their sales are falling.
Hornby has done better jobs on detailing every time untill I saw the 3MT.

The two versions of 4MT were given enourmous publicity in all the model mags and it was made clesr which was better.
I am not sure how they have managed to keep it in the range.
I do look forward to the new Hornby lot.
That L1 tank looks promising.

Old 27th December 2009, 22:41
Station Manager

Bachmann normally publish their new catalogue in late January to mid February. We of course know about the Class 70 and there are a number of diesel/electric models announced but not yet released although test shots of several of them have already been produced.

The only steam outline locos outstanding are the O4 and A2 and both seem to be well advanced and we should see them by the summer.

My guess is that any new announcements are more likely to be steam outline.

I am hoping for the Dukedog and the S&DJR 2-8-0!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 30th December 2009, 14:44

Yesterday I bought a Bachmann Jinty after riding on the ELR example.
A beautiful loco and I might well purchase more locos of this type in the future.
Old 2nd January 2010, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddington Ted View Post
I would vote for a 00 gauge 71000 too (although I could never justify running it on my layout for authenticity!) and also a BR Standard 2-6-0 (3MT). I must admit that the variety of model railway rolling stock available now in the RTR domain is really good but sometimes a manufacturer will come up with a real "workhorse" rather than a glamorous loco and Bachmann did this with the Maunsell N Class 2-6-0. I have just managed to obtain one on a certain internet auction site and early indications are that it is a beauty. The Ns and Us worked from Andover to Cheltenham regularly form the very early 50s until "my" line closed in 1961-62 so I was itching to get one. (OK so I bought my own Christmas present!) However, there are a number of other items that would be nice; for the S&D fans a 2-8-0 7F is long overdue in RTR and, as a GWR fan, I'd love to see some Hawksworth-designed coaches as these were late in the GWR's history and survived in BR ownership for some time afterwards. Also, some "proper" 4 and 6 wheeled GWR RTR coaching stock would be nice as would a 2-4-0T Metro Tank to pull them. Lastly, although not my area, a RTR Caledonian 4-6-0 "Cardean" would be excellent as I believe that this was one of the most aesthetically pleasing 4-6-0s ever built and it wasn't even green! I can't really speak for N gauge as I don't model it but it seems to be getting better all the time from the layouts I've seen recently.
After looking through the Hornby website for 2010 releases, it would appear that my wishes have been answered in the form of a variety of Hawksworth coaches in both Carmine and Cream and Maroon - Excellent! My only other wish would be to own a real one - there are a few about in preservation.
Old 4th January 2010, 22:57
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddington Ted View Post
Nice photos of 3822. This loco was, I believe, quite popular with the crews at Toddington when it visited. I do find that these locos look quite good in black. The colour doesn't suit some other GWR locos as well (Halls, Granges and Counties never look quite as good for example) but it's all a matter of personal taste I guess. When we first saw 2807 at Barry Scrapyard it was in that well-known livery of rust with rust highlights!
I attach a photo of 2807 taken by its fireman at Toddington (L C Jacks) but that was a long time ago (1953) - a prophetic photo?!
Thanks for the photo Ted.

2807 is at Llangollen at present. Here are a couple of photos I took last Saturday.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1023180rf.jpg (79.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg P1023188rf.jpg (74.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th January 2010, 23:08
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Does anyone know what Bachmann is planning?

You know I think it is fairly safe to say that their sales are falling.
Hornby has done better jobs on detailing every time untill I saw the 3MT.

The two versions of 4MT were given enourmous publicity in all the model mags and it was made clesr which was better.
I am not sure how they have managed to keep it in the range.
I do look forward to the new Hornby lot.
That L1 tank looks promising.
Just reread this post!

I doubt very much if Bachmann sales are falling with Tornado, SR EMU, Standard 3 Tank and City of Truro I think they might have hit the Christmas Jackpot!

Hornby will have done well with the Javelins and at the very last moment a few Castles but as far as I know the 12 wheeled Pulmans didn't make it, niether did the NRM Schools.

In 2010 I know I have the O4, Blue Peter and 105 DMU to look forward to from Bachmann and that is before the 2010 announcements!

As far as the Class 4s are concerned it depends if you want to run them or keep them in a display case. I am getting fed up with bit falling of Hornby stock when you try to use them. Super glue always at the ready! I can assure you that I handle my stock very carefully!

To be fair I don't think either has sold by the shed load!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Thanks for the photo Ted.

2807 is at Llangollen at present. Here are a couple of photos I took last Saturday.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
John H-T Many thanks. It's really good to see 2807 approaching completion now. The driving wheels should be finished next month and, in the meantime, work is progressing on all those loads of "bits and pieces" that have to be done before the loco can run. The current weather conditions won't help but we are all very much in the same situation with that at present!
Old 13th January 2010, 00:24

Re the 4MT, regardless of which is better, I tend to agree that they will not have enjoyed huge sales - was this model a tactical error in that it was not greatly demanded nor, despite the models high quality, was it a great impulse buy.

It would be interesting to know generally how well or how quickly every loco model sells. Stats will be distorted by manufacturers limited runs but presumably where high demand is experienced further batches will be made and sales stimulated by renumberings. It would also be interesting to know that where modellers have voted for a particular model to be produced if their enthusiasm translates into actual high levels of sales.

I suppose, however, we will not be happy until every single loco in the Ian Allen ABC has been made available in model form but at the same time I think we have been well served over recent years by the huge range and improving standards by all manufacturers.
Old 13th January 2010, 17:19
Station Manager

Probably a guide will be the 2010 catalogues for Bachmannn and Hornby. If there are new versions sales are OK, if not the chances are they are not moving very quickly. I still have the ex Mainline version of 75027!

It will be interesting to see if Bachmann Collectors Club do a version of it. I would be quite happy with the Bachmann version which is quite a bit cheaper (at discounted prices). The problem with a lot of Hornby models is that I think the detail is getting too delicate to allow regular use.

In the end, whichever company does 75014 with "Braveheart" name plates will get my money!

Best wishes,

John H-T.