14:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

The 2010 RTR ranges.

Old 26th December 2009, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Now that we know that Hornby is to do a new version of the 28XX in 2010, a couple of questions Toddington Ted (or anyone else in the know!):

1. Is 2807 now fitted with inside or outside steam pipes?

2. What livery is she going to be outshopped in?

I need to know so I can select the right Hornby version to renumber as 2807.

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
John H-T

I'm very pleased to see an updated version of this loco will be produced by Hornby. I wonder if they will go the whole way and produce another version with the Collett cab, fire iron tunnel etc for a 2884 class!
2807 was fitted with outside steampipes between 1936 and 1937. A photo taken at Severn Tunnel Jct in June 1937 clearly shows the loco in this guise with Dean pattern buffers fitted and also a tall safety valve bonnet. The livery appears to be the late 1930s livery with the "shirtbutton" badge on the tender. (I do have a photo but cannot seem to attach it at present, but I'll see what I can do). So, historically, this 1937 condition is the earliest livery that 2807 could be restored to today. However, to be absolutely accurate (and pedantic) in its current form, 2807 should really only run in BR unlined black (a livery which suited these locos rather better than some other ex-GWR types I think).

However, as far as I'm aware, 2807 will be outshopped in a GWR green livery but I'm not sure which one. The "shirtbutton" livery is not my personal favourite but historically it is the oldest one that 2807 could carry with outrside steampipes. We could, I suppose, outshop it in original condition (as it was in October 1905) but that would need some serious surgery, even to the smokebox, as 2807 was not superheated when first built and had inside steampipes and straight drop front ends to the frames as can be seen in the photo of "sister" loco 2803 (which was also a long lived 28xx but did not survive).

This link can tell you more:

http://www.gwr2807.fsnet.co.uk/gallery.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190503[1].jpg (25.8 KB, 9 views)

Old 26th December 2009, 10:59

To answer my own question in the previous post, I have just had a look at the Hornby Website page for 2010 releases and I'm delighted to see that they will be releasing the GWR 2-8-0s in both inside and outside steampipe versions and also the 2884 (Collett) version. Something to look forward to in 2010 then! Looks like there are going to be other locos to satisfy the non-GWR fans too, the LNER 2-6-4T will go down well with many of my colleagues here I'm sure.

Last edited by Toddington Ted; 26th December 2009 at 17:05. Reason: I cannot spell "Hornby"!
Old 26th December 2009, 11:49

Indeed Hornby have probably got the best range ever now.
I would recomend a view of the new railroad collection.
in there they have reintroduced the county class and the Patriot class.
They also have the class 40 and class 25.
There are new liveries in the form of Midland railway 3F.
Is it me or is there more detail slowly creeping up in this range?
Old 26th December 2009, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Indeed Hornby have probably got the best range ever now.
I would recomend a view of the new railroad collection.
in there they have reintroduced the county class and the Patriot class.
They also have the class 40 and class 25.
There are new liveries in the form of Midland railway 3F.
Is it me or is there more detail slowly creeping up in this range?
SFE, thanks, I'll have a look. I think some of the Railroad range is really good, especially for those who are happy to do a bit of detailing or weathering themselves. I bought a Railroad BR standard Brake Van a few weeks ago and I have never had a go at detailing or weathering anything before. A view of the result is here; I could have done a better job by removing the moulded grab rails and making new ones but I picked out the moulded ones in white and added new ones by the buffers. I have managed to get rid of that shiny black mass at the base of the van. The model doesn't look as shiny to the naked eye as it does in this flash photo - honest!I didn't add vacuum braking as I found that this particular numbered brake van wasn't vacuum fitted when I was doing some research on the 'net. I think you are right about detail creeping up in this range; it is getting better I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weathered BR Brake Van 10 Dec 09.jpg (103.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 26th December 2009, 18:39
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddington Ted View Post
John H-T

I'm very pleased to see an updated version of this loco will be produced by Hornby. I wonder if they will go the whole way and produce another version with the Collett cab, fire iron tunnel etc for a 2884 class
Toddington Ted,

Thanks for the link.

Hornby are going to produce two versions of the 2884 class in GWR green and BR black.

The only version at present planned which could be used as a basis for 2807 is to be produced in BR black with late crest: curved front footplate and outside steam pipes. No doubt they will do one in GWR green in due course.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 26th December 2009, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Toddington Ted,

Thanks for the link.

Hornby are going to produce two versions of the 2884 class in GWR green and BR black.

The only version at present planned which could be used as a basis for 2807 is to be produced in BR black with late crest: curved front footplate and outside steam pipes. No doubt they will do one in GWR green in due course.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
John H-T

Here are some images of 2807 both before and after its "transformation" to outside steampipes in 1937.
Old 26th December 2009, 20:51
Station Manager

Thanks very much for photos Toddington Ted. It looks as if 2807 carried shirt button livery after being fitted with outside steam pipes. Given the overhaul dates in "Heavywieght Champion" it would seem probable that she carried GWR on the tender after the war, either in green of black livery.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 26th December 2009, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddington Ted View Post
..............I didn't add vacuum braking as I found that this particular numbered brake van wasn't vacuum fitted when I was doing some research on the 'net. ......................
You never stop learning. Until today I thought that bauxite-painted freight stock were always vacuum fitted.
Old 26th December 2009, 22:02
Station Manager

Three photos of 3822 from Didcot during her visit to Toddington in 2003. She looks very smart in GWR black. One of the later 2884 built, in 1940 with the sde window plated over and recreated when 3822 was restored: another variation for Hornby to consider! I don't know if the side windows have now been fitted.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

PS a little thought for Hornby's future plans:

Castle chassis plus 28XX boiler equals 40XX Star Class 4-6-0. How about it Hornby?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9070077rf.jpg (73.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P9070079rf.jpg (79.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P9070082rf.jpg (245.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 26th December 2009, 22:29

Nice photos of 3822. This loco was, I believe, quite popular with the crews at Toddington when it visited. I do find that these locos look quite good in black. The colour doesn't suit some other GWR locos as well (Halls, Granges and Counties never look quite as good for example) but it's all a matter of personal taste I guess. When we first saw 2807 at Barry Scrapyard it was in that well-known livery of rust with rust highlights!
I attach a photo of 2807 taken by its fireman at Toddington (L C Jacks) but that was a long time ago (1953) - a prophetic photo?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2807 Cab view Toddington South Jun 1953.jpg (9.9 KB, 10 views)