09:23

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

My layout part 2

Old 5th December 2009, 20:02

My layout part 2

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I was last here. I've been busy putting the finishing touches to another book and starting another 2.

A couple of weeks ago when I had some spare time. What's that I hear you ask. I took apart my N Gauge layout and started on anotrher one. This time it is going to be bigger and, hopefully, better.

It now goes all the way around the inside of my shed, 8x6. Ok, so it's actually 7ft 6" by 5ft 8". The sides are 18 inches wide and the ends are two feet wide. That gives me enough room in the middle for my slender frame. It is also 4 feet above the floor, so it's at a better level to view it.

The outer six inches as 2 inch higher than the rest and will carry a double track. At one end will be a small station and a small goods yard. See 1st photo. The siding at the top right will be a carriage shed. There will be a lot more scratch building on this layout. As witnessed by my home made bridge.

I've been laying cork for the trackboard today and hope to paint it tomorrow. I'll try and keep regular updates.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layout2.jpg (41.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg bridge1.jpg (58.2 KB, 71 views)

Old 5th December 2009, 20:58

Thanks for the update, it is beginning to take shape I see. I envy your skill with N Gauge - it's too small and fiddley for me but it is amazing how detailed it can be. I really must get round to removing most of the new ballast on my layout and replacing it with more authentic "dirty" looking stuff. Maybe something for Christmas!
Old 5th December 2009, 22:34
Station Manager

Looks promising with some interesting stock. Look forward to further updates.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 6th December 2009, 10:35

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. I'm basically just building it as I go along. I have a rough idea what I want but it will change slightly as it is built. Once the upper trackwork has been completed I'll make a start to the lower section.

The station/yard area is mounted on quarter ply so it will be easier to drill the holes for the point motors and station/yard lights.

My passenger train is a temporary one until I can get the carriages that I want. I want 3-4 of the old style 4 wheel carriages. I've seen a number of them on E-bay but they tend to go for funny money. I tried to scratchbuild on but it didn't turn out very good.

I noticed this morning that a leak has developed in the roof of the shed. So I'll have to strip back the felt and repair the damage.

For those that get the N Gauge Society Journal there were some photos of my previous layout in the Sept/Oct issue.

Alex
Old 8th December 2009, 21:09

Hi guys,

A short update tonight. Not much due to the glue and paint taking days to dry. I started laying out the front of Kenmore village, with the station and goods yard on the outskirts.

A general view of the back of the layout and of the street that leads to the station. I'll add the scatter and the footpath at the weekend. I'm still waiting for my 2nd radius curves so I can finish the upper level track work. The inner circle works a dream and my trains can travel really slowly around the track and over the points.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg general.JPG (38.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Kenmore.JPG (44.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 16th December 2009, 03:26

Look forward to further updates.............................
Old 27th December 2009, 17:29

Hi,

Another short update. The upper twin track is now down and pinned. It is till powered by the one controller but I hope to get another controller soon. The village street is almost complete. Just some minor details, which can get added at a later date. The paving slabs have all been cut out and stuck down individually. It's an improvement on my previous attempt at pavements by using strips of balsa wood painted grey. They were painted light grey and a wash of black fills in the joins so they stand out. The same method was used in some of the driveways for the houses.

My next task is to wire up the 7 points in the station/yard area and do the lights for the station platform.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post office.jpg (59.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg kenmore st.jpg (52.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 27th December 2009, 19:48

It's developing into a nice looking scene Alex. Please keep the progress reports coming.
Old 27th December 2009, 19:51

Looking good so far Alex.
Old 27th December 2009, 21:42

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.

I have finally found some of the four wheel coaches I was looking for. They are brass etched and come from a company called Etched Pixels. The three attached images show the first under construction. I have added an interior and I'll also add clear acetate windows and some passengers. To get it to this stage has taken about an hour. They fit on a Peco 15ft Brake van, not included with the kit.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brass.jpg (67.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg brass2.jpg (70.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg brass3.jpg (83.7 KB, 20 views)