09:51

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

OO track geometry.

Old 17th September 2006, 19:31
Station Manager

The usual problem with Hornby curved points is back to back wheel measurements. Both Hornby and Bachmann are not as careful as they might be with their settings. My Hornby 9F was so bad I snet it back to Horby! The good news is that I got it back within the week and it has been fine since then. It also runs fine on my club's layout which uses code 75 rail.

The back to back measurement should be around 14.5 mm........... I think!

On my new layout I have only used curved points where I have to!

Old 17th September 2006, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T
...............On my new layout I have only used curved points where I have to!..........
It's a pity that OO curved points are so problematic. In N Gauge I don't know what I would do without curved points? There are at least 8 Peco curved points on my present layout and locos and stock of many different makes can traverse them smoothly at "well above" scale speeds.
John.
Old 17th September 2006, 20:54

I have Bachman:- Pannier Tank, Royal Scot, Ivatt class 2 tank (new), and Hornby Black 5.

The intial problem was with the long rigid wheelbase of the pannier tank and the Scot hitting the frog. As in hitting a solid wall.... clunk.

I then shaved a bit (well a lot) off the frog and then found that the wheels started to drop into the much larger frog. So much so, that the pannier tank laid down on its side for a rest!

Pushing the Scot tender through the points gave noticably increased rolling resistance from a "pinching" effect. There is some side play in the Bachman wheels, but nothing like the Hornby Black 5

I then tried to ease out the gauge - but by this time I was using a cold chisel and lump hammer .

We spent the rest of the afternoon running all of the locos through the points OK in the trailing direction, once I had wedged the blades up with cardboard strips, but didnt try facing direction again.

Anyway, mindfull of probably some amazing scenic layouts in this forum , i darent show any photos. But imagine:- green painted MDF, with a grey paint ribbon as ballast for my layout that has to be carried out to the garage and stood on its end when not in use. My layout is as attached:-

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27...nk/Layout2.jpg
Old 17th September 2006, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
...............Anyway, mindfull of probably some amazing scenic layouts in this forum , i darent show any photos. But imagine:- green painted MDF, with a grey paint ribbon as ballast for my layout that has to be carried out to the garage and stood on its end when not in use.................
ShedCat, don't be so critical of your layout As I said in another thread there are many people who miss out on all the fun that railway modelling can bring simply because their sights are set too high. You don't need a monster, all-singing, all-dancing layout to enjoy watching your favourite locos running. As it stands your track diagram gives plenty of operating potential. I hope you can sort out the passing loop problem.
John.
Old 17th September 2006, 21:54
Station Manager

I would echo what Swisstrains is saying. Get in there and keep the train running. I have spent too much time fiddling around although the time spent on the full size plan will hopeully pay off. The Peco templates are great and they also do them for the set track which is the same geometry as Hornby/ Bachmann.

Last edited by John H-T; 17th September 2006 at 21:55. Reason: wrong spelling!
Old 1st October 2006, 21:14
Station Manager

[IMG]F:\DCIM\100OLYMP\P9290113[/IMG]

This image shows work in progress on final full size design for my new layout using Peco and Tracksetta templates.

I cannot get the hang of inserting images into posts so will upload the photo in the Railway modelling galary

Last edited by John H-T; 1st October 2006 at 21:20.
Old 1st October 2006, 22:20

Quote:
[IMG]F:\DCIM\100OLYMP\P9290113[/IMG]

This image shows work in progress on final full size design for my new layout using Peco and Tracksetta templates.

I cannot get the hang of inserting images into posts so will upload the photo in the Railway modelling galary
Here's the direct link to John H-T's layout planning image.
http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...php?photo=1604
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:12
Station Manager

Thanks John.

John H-T.
Old 2nd October 2006, 20:49

Quote:
Corrr ........£10 + £10 + £10 (etc).... Some model railway shop owner is going be holidaying in the Bahamas this Xmas.. (And there is going to be a sudden shortage of turnouts for the rest of us.)

As far as my design is going:- I think the Peco double curve turnout has been slightly better than Hornby, although there is not a lot in it really in terms of derailments. And I have proved by literally hours of juggling with the full sized pieces that it is impossible to do what I wanted with standard radius componants. It sort of works, but all my track joints have that irritating 1mm gap between the rails on one side.

I think Swisstrains had the best advice early on in this thread......forget the maths and get some flexitrack and just bend it till it looks right. Good tip. I'll remember next time.
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:19
Station Manager

Corrr ........£10 + £10 + £10 (etc).... Some model railway shop owner is going be holidaying in the Bahamas this Xmas.. (And there is going to be a sudden shortage of turnouts for the rest of us.)

Where do you buy your points, I certain will not be paying £10 for Code 75 24" radius points and thats before discount as long as I buy a few at a time!

Anyway base board first. Watch this space!