23:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Birth of a layout.

Old 14th February 2006, 01:00

Track laying hasn't even started, and the 2mm scale Lord Mayor is getting fed up of hanging around and waiting.

I wanted to glue a double layer of polystyrene ceiling tiles to the board and use them as a track base. I wanted polystyrene so that I could cut into it later on to create a pond and a small ditch/stream. This sounds unbelievable I know, but I cannot find any plain tiles in east Hull at all. I thought that B&Q would be a safe bet. Forget it. Either there on the verge of closing down or the restocking department isn't doing its job properly.

So it's beginning to look like the only other option is foam track underlay and no pond and stream. Unfortunately the budget has been exceeded for this month, so if I go for the foam underlay then I'm looking at a delay of about a fortnight. A friend has suggested a type of felt underlay that is generally used for laminate flooring, so if it's cheap enough I might have a look at that as an option.

Did Brunel have these kind of problems?

Old 15th February 2006, 23:17
Station Manager

Trev
Can't you use the tiles but fix them on upside down. When you cut into them you can always full in the gaps with modeling clay. or just make them look like part of the river bank.

PS Brunel had other problems, like ships that ran agroung and little things like Box tunnel and bridges crossing the Tamar & Thames.
Syd
Old 16th February 2006, 00:51

I thought of that Syd, but the ones that they had at the time had a very raised pattern on them, and I was worried that they might not stick correctly and come adrift in the future. The good news is that me and the missus went back to B&Q today (for emulsion ) and found that they must have restocked. I bought one pack of 500mm x 500mm tiles with a subdued pattern which will stick perfectly. Things are back on track! (pardon the pun!)

Any ideas on a name for your own empire yet?
Old 16th February 2006, 08:49
Station Manager

Trev, so far you are the only one to offer any names, I will give it a little more time to see if there are any more names. I have to give people time to think, after all we are railway nuts so we should be able to come up with a name. I have set the model in the late 50's early 60's some where in the west country with both Southern and Midlands passing through. When I feel like it I can even have visiting locos and trains fron overseas, but that depends on who comes to see me. Our local doctor has started to build a DB layout and as it is still at the track laying stage. He tests the rolling stock on my layout. Lets face it, he just likes to see his sets running. The good thing about it is he has got his young son intrested. Power to all new young modelers.
Syd
Old 16th February 2006, 20:29
Station Manager

Syd,

How about working round "Cleobury, Mortimer and Ditton Priors Light Railway." Always thought it was a great name for a railway. Two of their locos even made it into BR days. They were rebuilt with pannier tanks and looked a bit like Collett 1366 tanks. It was a branch of the Severn Valley Line.

Last edited by John H-T; 16th February 2006 at 20:32.
Old 17th February 2006, 01:04

Can I be the first to mention the 'Weston, Clevedon and Portishead'?

The WC & P?
Old 17th February 2006, 19:44
Station Manager

Trev
That's a good one, I live in the area and did not even think about it. There is talk of opening the Bristol - Portishead line (under the Clifton Suspension Bridge and along the river Avon) for passenger services again.
Syd
Old 18th February 2006, 00:09

Glad to be of help Syd.

Right, I've emulsioned the ceiling, the walls will be done tomorrow and Sunday, so I'm hoping to get some track down on Monday. Fingers crossed. The missus has helpfully bought some new curtain rail to put up, (not flat bottomed ), but that's only a ten minute job at the most, so that shouldn't eat into Monday's planned start too much. It was definitely a mistake taking her to B&Q.
Old 27th February 2006, 00:19

The South Holderness Light Railway took possession of its third locomotive early last week. It's a Class 73 in large logo BR blue, a type which has never before been seen in East Yorkshire. Should pull the punters in!

Unfortunately, it's still in storage at the moment, not even a test run to its mileage, as the track still hasn't been laid.
Old 27th February 2006, 19:44

message for Syd :
With Midland, Southern and Western stock it sounds like you are creating something similar to the old Somerset and Dorset Joint Rly. Maybe imaginary names based on some of the places in this part of the country would be suitable. e.g. Shepton Farish (bit of advertising), Bedminster (where your layout lives), Sydcombe (no explanation needed).

message for Trev :
How are you going to attach your track to the polystyrene tiles?

John.