23:26

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Birth of a layout.

Old 31st January 2006, 00:18

Birth of a layout.

I thought it might be fun to chronicle my first real foray into railway modelling. I'll update this thread every few days or so, and I'll be asking questions, so please feel free to jump in and tell me what I'm doing wrong!

I'm modelling in 'N' gauge, using Peco Setrack. The track arrived on Saturday morning and, even though it was ordered with a specific track plan in mind, that plan has now been changed. The idea now is to model a fictitious preserved railway, and the trackplan now reflects that. It's an oval, one side of which will be hidden, with a passing loop and eight sidings. The baseboard is to be a cheap internal door, cut down to around 5 foot by 2 foot 6.

And that's about it so far. I've got a couple of weeks off from work starting next Monday, so that's when things will begin in earnest.

I suppose I'll have to do some decorating in order to keep the missus sweet, but hey, chucking emulsion at a wall is nothing compared to laying track!

Old 31st January 2006, 21:52
Station Manager

Go for it Trev. Keep some of the white or magnolia emulsion to use on the layout. Mixed with a bit of black water paint, it makes for good roads, add some very fine sand (kids sandpit stuff), only a little though and the roads have texture.
Syd
Old 1st February 2006, 05:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
Go for it Trev. Keep some of the white or magnolia emulsion to use on the layout. Mixed with a bit of black water paint, it makes for good roads, add some very fine sand (kids sandpit stuff), only a little though and the roads have texture.
Syd
Try that in the desert and the stuff cracks like real old roads too (darn lack of humidity ). I use black fine grit sandpaper for roads for the most part. The emulsion with sand sounds like a great way to make a car park though. I wonder how it would weather. Anyone have a go at it? I'd be interested in knowing--it might be just what I need.

I built a little railway museum on my layout as an excuse to display (and run) vintage stuff. The museum has trackage rights on all the mainlines for excursions. That is the only way I can justify running a Mountain or Pacific past the SD60s and 70s... And if anyone asks why the European stuff is running about, I say that the museum has a rich retired Brit as a member and he purchased a used Mallard for the museum to restore.

Good luck with the layout, Trev.

Tom F
Old 2nd February 2006, 23:33

Thanks for the tips lads. A largish car park will be required at the front of the layout in between the diesel and steam sheds. I want the 2mm scale visitors to be overawed by the locos as they climb out of their tin boxes!

I'm currently trying to come up with a fictitious history for the preserved line. It's going to be known as the 'South Holderness Light Railway' and the station will probably be 'Hedon' (where I was brought up) which was on the long closed Hull - Withernsea branch. It's not going to be a slavish copy of the real Hedon station by any means, but I want it to have a bit of the local flavour at least. Which means no tunnels, so the track will have to disappear through the backscene disguised by plenty of trees.

And I've already decided on my next loco purchase (it's known as putting the cart before the horse ). I really want one of those Dapol Class 73's, preferably the large logo BR blue model.

Anyhow, track laying is due to commence next Monday. A 2mm scale Lord Mayor of Hedon will be invited to cut the first sod!!
Old 3rd February 2006, 07:34
Station Manager

Trev,
At least you have a name for your lay out, I have not had a single reply to my request for a name for my lay out. I'm sure someone out there will have a good name that I could use. Good luck with the cutting of the sod, hope your Lord Mayor is up to the job.
Old 5th February 2006, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
Trev,
At least you have a name for your lay out, I have not had a single reply to my request for a name for my lay out.
I don't recall seeing that thread. Point me to it!
Old 5th February 2006, 09:46

I usually call mine something like, "ball and chain," or just plain, "arrrrrrrgh!." Of course, when something goes right, it is "the love of my life..."

Tom F
Old 5th February 2006, 21:37
Station Manager

Trev
I have been through all of my postings and can't find the request I made for a name for my layout. I know that I did put it onto the board. It must be in the middle of some posting and I can't find it. So Here it is again.
I would like some ideas for a name for my N gauge model railway. To be fair I will let my wife choose the best of the best and the winner will have their name fixed to the layout under the chosen layout name.
Old 6th February 2006, 22:27

It's mostly Great Western isn't it Syd? How about calling the station something like 'Churchwood'. Yeah I know, pretty lame. I'll try and think of some more suggestions.

Edit: Even better (or worse, depending on how you viewed my first idea), 'George Junction (for Churchwood).....GJC for short! Stop groaning!

Last edited by Trev; 6th February 2006 at 22:29.
Old 9th February 2006, 09:16
Station Manager

Trev,
I thank you for your suggestions for a name. I will wait and see what other names come forward before I make up my mind.. I found my request. It is on the last set of photos I posted in the gallery. So far you are the only one to make any suggestions. I refuse to call it by the names my wife calls it. Things like "That Bloody Toy" & "Syds Junk". She likes it really.
Syd