00:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

More Night Sleepers

Old 2nd May 2013, 21:27

More Night Sleepers

Now Keith, you have just sparked off a memory I have going back to a very cold and damp end to 1969!
It was December 30th and my brother and I were travelling from Peterborough to Fort William for the new year. We were to meet another friend at Grantham who would join us. It was the sleeper from King Cross and had regular coaches on the rear. We met up as planned and settled down playing cards and had a few beers on the go, however I was full of cold and felt really crap. By the time we got to York I knew I had a temperature and I needed some sleep and to get warm. I decided to see if I could get a warm bed? I went to the attendant of the sleeper section and asked if he had anything available. He said for 10 shillings I could have a bottom bunk bed, so I duly paid him and lay down on the bottom bunk covered in blankets and duly slept in a sweat, as you do with a cold. Someone was asleep in the top bunk but I never knew who and never even spoke to the chap. Next thing I knew the attendant was waking us as we were about to pull into Fort William.
The chap in the top bunk had left before I managed to raise myself, (often wondered what he must have thought)? Anyway I met up with my mates and they told me of the journey. The train split at Edinburgh and the passengers had to get off, including my brother and friend, while the sleepers were removed and put onto a train to Glasgow and Fort William. They complained of getting no sleep and being very cold! I on the other hand slept through the whole thing.
It was my first and last trip on a sleeper and unfortunately I actually saw very little, but it was an experience, and I did feel better and ready to party and see in a traditional Scottish New Year!!! Now that is another story!!!!
All the best
Phil

Old 3rd May 2013, 12:00

Smile

Great story Phil, i did'nt realise that the steward could put you in a sleeping compartment's with a complete stranger, do they still do this?
I believe that in India its still common practice on long distance trains A mate told me he was travelling on an overnight train in India, it was a six seat compartment that converted to four bunks, when he pointed out to the other five passengers that six into four won't go, they replied that it was a simple solution ----- four on the bunks and two on the floor!!!!
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
Great story Phil, i did'nt realise that the steward could put you in a sleeping compartment's with a complete stranger, do they still do this?
I believe that in India its still common practice on long distance trains A mate told me he was travelling on an overnight train in India, it was a six seat compartment that converted to four bunks, when he pointed out to the other five passengers that six into four won't go, they replied that it was a simple solution ----- four on the bunks and two on the floor!!!!
I believe for the steward it was some added beer money and I imagine the guy in the top bunk also paid a backhander! Can't be sure of that though, I was just grateful for the warm sleep!
I can well believe the story in India! That must be quite an experience! All good stuff
Cheers
Phil