14:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Events & Dates for your Diary

Haxby station re-opening

Old 11th November 2012, 17:49

Haxby station re-opening

The Yorkshire branch of Railfuture are planning to hold a public meeting about the re-opening of Haxby station (between York and Malton) this coming February. Date is the 19th - venue and time tbc. Please support this meeting if you live locally.

Old 11th November 2012, 18:09

Is it getting near a local election? Favourite topic of any candidate touting for votes.

This proposal along with Strensall appears about every 2 years for at least the 30 years that I have lived within sight of the former station at Haxby.
Also the proposal for a halt at the back of York Hospital suffers the same problem.
All well and good if it does lead to some progress but I wait to be convinced.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 12th November 2012, 17:27

This would have to go hand in hand with the installation of ticket barriers at York. The guard often struggles to get up the train before Malton on peak trains, so Strensall would be a free ride. I wish the scheme every success but can't see it happening any time soon.
Old 13th December 2012, 13:47

Haxby station

Thanks for your replies - the meeting is being arranged by the local Railfuture branch. Local MP Julian Sturdy (CON) has been running an initiative called Transport Vision for York which has included this station re-opening as part of its plans. As can be seen from the attached link the Labour run City Council is laso looking into the station.

The purpose of the meeting is a chance for the people of Haxby and Wiggington (and Strensall) to get behind the politicians to push for the new station and Railfuture are hoping that a small local group will be formed to take this forward. We will also be inviting Network Rail and Trans Pennine Express as speakers.

The collection of fares point is an intersting one and one that the future operator will have to consider. My understanding is that Network Rail are not allowed to put gates on the station having failed last year (thankfully).

One last thing the date might change so watch this space!

Dave
Old 14th December 2012, 23:33

Date and venue change

the new date and venue is

20th February 2013 19:30 hours
Wiggington Recreation Hall
The Village
Wiggington
Old 18th December 2012, 20:35

As there is a pretty good bus service from Haxby to York I cannot see the need for a station at Haxby or Strensall for that matter. As most Scarborough trains are inter city the journey time would be extended possible only for a hand full. Alas we are living in the Age of the Car and don't we know it when we go into town. No doubt the authorities have done their homework to see if there is a demand for a rail service.
Chris
Old 19th December 2012, 20:48

Its not just the trip into town but the opportunities for onward travel.
Where I live within sight of the proposed station I have an alleged 20 min service.
That however then dumps me 250 yard short of the station.
The number 5 bus is also renowned for being the first route to lose a bus if there is a problem anywhere in York.
I agree Haxby itself has a very frequent service but that is not the same for the Strensall service.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:23

The halt behind the hospital will not be going ahead now I think as this would have been for football, which is 1min to ground, but new coming ground who knows ?????
Old 28th January 2013, 11:56

Haxby

Julian Sturdy MP and David Merrett (City of York Council) will be speaking. The announcement of the New Stations Fund by HMG last week means that the station has moved right up the agenda at CYC and it is almost eertain they will be making a bid for the station.

The halts at YDH and Strensall would be a later addition and would require additional rolling stock and crewing resource. At the moment there is no business case for them. The football ground is not the key driver for the YDH station although the re-location of the ground will have a small effect on any future business case.

I assume the business case work for Haxby has been done otherwise CYC would not be keen to progress this issue.

Dave
Old 4th March 2013, 14:01

About 100 people at meeting - CYC have applied for money form the new stations fund so we now sit back and wait. A local action group has been formed to take the new station forward in partnership with the new council.

Tags
haxby, re-opening, station