06:12

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Irish closures.

Old 2nd July 2010, 20:37

Irish closures.

It seems after reading about the state of irish railways today, they wish to close a standard gauge line from Waterford to Rosslare.
In the UK it can be siad that line closures are now rare if not impossible, but becuase of poor marketing and a crap timetable, the line is to be closed.

Lets just hope they will wake up and sort it out. Remember all those campaigns to keep lines open in the 60s? Well here we go again.

I do hope that this time, the jobsworths shall be defeated and the line remain open.
http://savetherail.org/wordpress/

Old 2nd July 2010, 22:39

I visited this line last spring. It enjoyed a service of ONE train daily in each direction, which was patronised by a mere handful of passengers. Freight on the line ceased years ago with the end of the sugarbeat traffic in the area. In the UK the route would never have survived as long as it did; it only lasted into the 21st century on the back of the massive EU subsidies which Ireland has enjoyed for years but which couldn't go on forever.
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
they wish to close a standard gauge line from Waterford to Rosslare.
Sorry to be nitpicking, but I think you will find the line is actually 5ft 3in gauge !
Old 5th July 2010, 10:43
Registered Member

Whatever the gauge, whatever the sad reasons for this lines demise, lets hope that those responsible for wanting it closed , lose out and it remains open.

I realise having read this thread, because I dont know the line personally, but Also having read other input on the line and its traffic (or lack of it) that better marketing needs to be involved and indeed better overall managment.

I really hope that the line remains open and that the communtiy win. Having said that of course the community could help things by actually USING the train, but we will have to wait and see.

Old 5th July 2010, 12:49

I think there's a facebook petition to protest about the closure. I had a link about four weeks ago and signed it, sorry I can't find it again, but it might still be there if you are registered with Facebook (I'm not, as it happens)
Old 5th July 2010, 13:11
Registered Member

That is one part of the Internet I do not like, Facebook. It is an absolute terrible place, I never use it.
But "Each to their own" "Eh" ?

Old 5th July 2010, 19:32
Station Manager

Quote:
That is one part of the Internet I do not like, Facebook. It is an absolute terrible place, I never use it.
But "Each to their own" "Eh" ?
I have to agree with you there Peter, I was on Face Book but I closed the account very quickly after getting all sorts of trash and people I don't know turning up on my site. Even with the blocks up, I still got them.
I do wish the people of Ireland the best of luck with their petition
Old 6th July 2010, 17:50

In that website it is stated that the line leads to the only port that the railway company owns. The line should therefore have a huge amount of visitor traffic. But they also say that they time the trains to leave as the ferries pull in. Stupid or what?
Old 6th July 2010, 18:40

I'm afraid everyone arrives at Rosslare by car.