12:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Labour of love’ brings heritage line back to national network

Old 10th January 2009, 20:20

Imagine Gandalf without pointy hat and long gownand it will most likely be me,
Wife and wee hairy Hobbit dog called Frodo (miniature Dachshund with Big Hairy Feet)will be following, on the other hand SWMBO may be leading with her dog and I'll be trailing.
Like Sherringham and been visiting since before the crossing was taken awayand never could understand why the network did not have for want of a better expression 'visiting rights' to one of the platforms rather than the platform they built at the end of the line. Could not have really been because of the disruption to road traffic as the service from Norwich was never that frequent. Maybe once they get that B12 back working again it may even venture off to Norwich and what a run that would be for East 'Angular' preservation.
Anyone heard any more about the Norfolk Orbital (?) Railway scheme.
John (G)

Old 6th February 2009, 16:51
Station Manager

Sadly the new crossing at Sherringham cannot be completed this year as the cost has risen to £150,000, an increase of £50,000, partly because because there are more electricity cables that need burying than first thought. The money cannot be raised for the work to be done before the April deadline. Understandably Sherringham Council do not want work in progress during the tourist season.

It was always going to be a tight schedule so we will have to wait till 2010!

See new copy of Steam Railway for full details.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 6th February 2009, 21:47

FAO Gandalf first. My apologies. You said you remember when the level crossing was still in place on the A47 at Wisbech. Yes this was removed for a spell after ONE motorist complained it was bumpy, so they tarmaced over it, only for Network Rail to re-instate it a few years back because we are going to run trains eventually. When we do, we'd like to run into one of the now disused platforms at March, but sadly NR will Not allow us to at present. Who knows what might happen later though?

Secondly, re Sheringham, the power company were asking for a Large sum of money 'up front' to move the cables, PLUS 3 months notice for the work to be carried out.