19:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Metrolink Derailment.

Old 1st July 2008, 20:01

Metrolink Derailment.

I found out the cause of the heavy traffic that almost made me late for work on Monday.

Turns out in the MEN today that a Metrolink tram left the rails on St. Peters Square late at night taking people back from a concert at Old Trafford cricket ground.

Seems the tram left the rails then kinda jacknifed crashing into overhead cable poles, not sure if they where brought down completely.

The tram was completely packed and the most worrying part was no member of staff or the driver attempted to instruct passengers as to what to do in the event.

I do remember reading on here not so long ago about the dangers of leaving a train or tram while there is potential for the live wires to be down but not out, I imagine this could have ended a lot worse had live power cables been on or near the tram and everyone simply bolted off quickly the way they did.

No cause for the drailment yet but the passengers speculate it was due to the 300+ on board. (!)

They had trams running again today after installing emergency supports.

Old 1st July 2008, 20:25

yes, i know someone who is a conductor at Crich. Part of his duties is to instruct passengers to stay on the tram until it has been made safe due to the poosbility it may be live and not eathed until someone gets off!
Richard.
No doubt the tram experts can be more scientific.
Old 1st July 2008, 23:35

According to the BBC report on this incident and the photograph on their site, the Tram somehow HIT the overhead power cables (yet nobody was electrocuted). One minor injury was reported though.