22:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

AWS SPAD in Brisbane QLD

Old 12th October 2018, 07:41

AWS SPAD in Brisbane QLD

G'day,
I have always wondered why the QR did not extend the ATP that was introduced on the North Coast line down into the Brissy Metrop.
Only AWS exists in the Brissy Metrop.
The ATSB has published the final report into an AWS SPAD which occurred on 12 oct 2017 at Petrie suburb.
Petrie was once the northern terminus for the Brissy suburban system.
That was extended to Caboolture to the north of Petrie.
The report makes for interesting reading due to the lack of memory about the AWS by the driver.
Much like automatic response to the vigilance system on locomotives.
Hence the random vigo subsequently introduced here in NSW after the Beresfield prang.
https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/577512...-015_final.pdf
Steve.

Old 12th October 2018, 11:36

Hi Steve. Just gave the report a quick glance and saw this..

"The driver advised the ATSB that he was feeling unwell at the time of the occurrence and that he subsequently was diagnosed with a severe respiratory tract infection"

Wow. We all know you shouldn't book on duty if you're not fit, so it gets you wondering if there is a culture of bullying in that area.

We have a system called "Managing for Attendance" in the UK which is a 3 stage process ending in dismissal. It effectively ensures that sick people have to come to work. You could have a perfect attendance record for 40 years, but as soon as you have more than 4 days off, or more than 2 instances in 13 weeks, or more than 10 days of in 52 weeks you start the process running.

Of course it's down to management. If they're compassionate, or there's a driver shortage, things are dealt with sensibly. But if thugs are running the job - and that's a culture which is on the increase, things can get nasty.

To put things in perspective, I damaged my knee a few years ago and had to take 5 months off. My employers were excellent. I continued to be paid, and they gave me some physio sessions. So it can be excellent, or it can be horrendous.

Be interesting to see how this incident runs.

Best wishes, BW.

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 12th October 2018 at 11:39.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:58

And Hi again.

Coming at this from a technical point of view now, it's surprising that there was no form of trainstop for the red.

We have TPWS (Linky here...TPWS) which is fitted on mainline signals where there is risk of head-on or side collision. It dumps the brake if you approach too fast, or go past a red signal. Crude but effective.

This is a stop-gap until the European Rail Traffic Management System (Linky here..ERTMS) is introduced. This will ultimately do away with all signals & signs and ensure that tha no train can do what it isn't allowed to. But it will cost so much money that I doubt i'll see it working in my lifetime.

I wonder if Oz is subjected to a similar regime of "we haven't fitted this, because one day we will have that" ?

Cheers, BW
Old 13th October 2018, 07:08

G'day BW,
I am presuming that the reason that ATP was not extended into the Brissy Metrop would be due to the pricetag for the myriad of signals involved.
I did not think much of the QR AWS system.
I don't like systems that require a response to ALL signals.
For my opinion, a response necessary ONLY for restrictive signals would be much more assertive for the driver.
Yes, I am aware of the different alarm for Green as compared to Restrictive signals.
But, thumping a button to respond to ALL signals would become automated.
As to "sickies", yes times have changed since privatization and governmental strictness.
Back in the "good ole days' sickies were mainly utilized to avoid an undesirable job.
So, a crack down on such behaviour was understandable.
Fatigue management is very stringent today here.
This does impact upon the availability of alternate crews when sickies do occur.
Retirement is the BEST form of a Day Off.
Steve.

Tags
aws