02:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Metrolink

Old 6th July 2006, 15:42

Metrolink

The Metrolink scheme in Greater Manchester has just been given the go ahead for an £820 million expansion. It still won't reach as far as the airport or Ashton, but it'll be branching out in different directions, like Rochdale. Just thought it might be of interest to those of you are into light rail systems.

Old 7th July 2006, 10:49

Didn't really see much point of the airport link, since there is a Manchester Airport line anywat.
Old 17th July 2006, 20:38

There's a few towns of a reasonable size that are connected to metrolink but not to the rail network, such as Prestwich or Bury. It would prove useful to them, but I don't think it would justify the costs to be honest.
Old 19th November 2006, 17:35

The Metrolink has had problems running for the last two Saturdays. Last week, major power cuts left large parts of North Manchester in the dark, and the Metrolink system between Bury and Whitefield was without power (as was the East Lancs, including Bury South signal box, leading to pilot men having to be used). And in the early hours of yesterday morning vandals cut through cables controlling the signalling, paralysing the system from Victoria to Bury until mid-afternoon.

On a more positive note, track laying has now begun between Bury and Victoria. This means that all services over that stretch are being replaced by buses on Sundays.

Adam
Old 19th November 2006, 18:35

Glad I went on my railway trip on the Sunday that I did two weeks ago, would have had problems using the metrolink now.
Old 19th November 2006, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi
.................. And in the early hours of yesterday morning vandals cut through cables controlling the signalling, paralysing the system from Victoria to Bury until mid-afternoon...........
I wonder if they were vandals or thieves that were disturbed before they could strip out the cable. I believe that the price of copper has gone through the roof recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi
On a more positive note, track laying has now begun between Bury and Victoria............
About time too The trackwork in places is terrible and the Manchester - Altrincham section isn't much better.
Old 1st May 2007, 15:55

The track relaying programme is about to start soon. From the 29th of May there will be no service between Radcliffe and Bury. To my understanding a replacement bus service is planned. As time goes on more sectios will be shut, I shall post information about this closer to the time.

Adam
Old 31st May 2007, 10:44
Registered Member

Hello All This link is about the metro line to Rochdale.
Alan Locojoe.

http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/ne...link_line.html

http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/ne...link_line.html