13:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Sheffield Supertram

Old 29th October 2007, 11:01

There's a tram museum in Derbyshire where your admission price buys an old 1p (or a 1/2p for children) you then take your old coin with you on the tram and pay the conductor who issues and clips tickets, so I'd imagine that's how they use to do it.

I think as the Blackpool trams are traditional English trams and as they only go up and down the sea front they are only really of use to tourists and resort workers, which may be the reason for taking the fares the traditional way. I've never been to Sheffield (apart from changing trains there) but I am aware that it's the modern German type of trams that they use there.

Old 29th October 2007, 12:02

With regards to the museum mentioned in the post by hstudent, it is called the Crich Tramway Village. I went down for a day earlier in the year and it was great. To get there by public transport go to Whatstandwell station, then it's a walk up a VERY steep hill. You could of course get a taxi from the station, but my ways cheaper, if a lot harder. I need a strong drink and a sit down after that anyway!

Adam
Old 30th October 2007, 12:33

A few weeks ago I was in Nottingham and the trams there looked really modern, though I didn't use one at the time. On the subject of the Sheffield supertram, I found this link about them:

http://www.railway-technology.com/pr...heffield-tram/
Old 30th October 2007, 21:33
Station Manager

If anyone is visiting the Crich Tramway Museum let me know. I only live a couple of miles from it! Perhaps we could meet up?

John H-T.
Old 31st October 2007, 16:34

I'll definetly be going again because it was good when I went earlier this year, it won't be until next year, I'll let you know when though.

Adam
Old 1st November 2007, 11:13

I picked up a leaflet published by TP Express last week which lists a lot of add-ons you can buy for your rail ticket. If you buy a ticket to Sheffield there is a 'South Yorkshire supertram' add-on for £1. However, I think that's likely to only be valid in central Sheffield. Not like the Manchester Metrolink where in theory you can buy rail tickets to places on the tram network, not on the rail network such as Bury, Sale and Prestwich. Although if you're unable to get a direct train to Manchester from where you start your journey then apparently ticket office staff are unlikely to know how to issue a combined train and tram ticket.
Old 5th November 2007, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi View Post
With regards to the museum mentioned in the post by hstudent, it is called the Crich Tramway Village. I went down for a day earlier in the year and it was great. To get there by public transport go to Whatstandwell station, then it's a walk up a VERY steep hill. You could of course get a taxi from the station, but my ways cheaper, if a lot harder. I need a strong drink and a sit down after that anyway!

Adam
Did one of the staff members make the joke about someone upsetting Ian Paisley as one of the trams says 'Paisley Cross' on the front?
Old 6th November 2007, 14:37

With regard to the Nottingham Tram. I use it a lot and I think it is superb.
£2.40p(at the moment) buys you a car parking space, a return ticket on the tram and bus rides in the city centre.
Plans to extend the system have just been given the go ahead and I think compulsory purchases of buildings in the way are in motion now. Someone may be able to confirm that.
I have friends in Portsmouth who have just had a similar system cancelled in their city and they think our trams are brilliant.
I still think that we should be going wholesale into these systems for cities. Mind you that would spoil the councils road pricing schemes, that we all know are rushing towards us over the horizon.
Oaul.
Old 6th November 2007, 22:25

Come to Cambridgeshire and help dig up the tracks so we can have the wonderful (?) guided bus running along an old trackbed that could form part of an East West freight line.
Of course you will have to do battle with the trucks and cars on the A14 to get anywhere first.
John (G)