03:14

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Tories urge new age of the train (BBC News)

Old 29th September 2008, 15:23

Tories urge new age of the train (BBC News)

BBC political correspondent Carole Walker looks at the Conservatives' plans to build a new high speed rail link rather than a third runway at Heathrow.

More from BBC News...

Old 29th September 2008, 18:34

That would be highly logical, although I'm a sceptic when it comes to political promises regarding railways...
Old 29th September 2008, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
That would be highly logical, although I'm a sceptic when it comes to political promises regarding railways...
Absolutely spot on. I am fed up to the back teeth with these political promises regarding anything and everything.
I am sure that if you listen to these people long enough it would be a brilliant cure for insomnia.
All of them, from all of the parties, are a disgrace, and just not to be trusted.
Personally I think the rail link is a great idea. I just dont believe that any of them have any intention of building it.
Paul.
Old 29th September 2008, 19:59

Q: How do you tell when a politician is lying?
A: Their lips move!

I have to agree with the above posters. No politician can't see a bandwagon without jumping on it. The only thing they care about is power. They seduce us with promises of this, that and the other, but it all gets conveniently forgotton when the b#st#rds get into government.
I don't think a high speed rail link is a good idea. The upheavals that happen when building the line, the 'land-grabs' that will be necessary, plus the destruction that will be inevitable in the cities don't justify it, in my view. Not only that, but the vast tracts of land that will be required in the rural areas won't benefit the people in those areas. I'm well aware that if France want to build a TGV line, they just go ahead and do it. That's because they've got the Capitalist disease of short-termism - they want a line, they build it, but they don't take into account ANY long term considerations.
If there is that much money sloshing around waiting to be spent on a runway or a high-speed rail link, then I'd like to see it spent on the existing network. IF a new line needs to be opened, then I'd sooner see an old line reopened. Yes, I admit that some demolition will be necessary, but it won't be to the same extent as a new link, AND the sites of existing track-beds can be used.

I fully expect to be shot at. Let's have it!
Old 29th September 2008, 20:16
Station Manager

Help!!!

Some sanity from the Conservative Party. I am not sure I can cope! This has got to be a first!

Best wishes,

John H-T
Old 29th September 2008, 22:50

Cant see this ever happening in my lifeime

Just polititicans after votes
Old 30th September 2008, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43006 View Post
They seduce us with promises of this, that and the other, but it all gets conveniently forgotton when the b#st#rds get into government.
Yeah then it comes back again once they start to feel they are gonna get kicked out of power.
Old 30th September 2008, 12:18
Admin

Yep, being in opposition has some big benefits
Old 30th September 2008, 22:52

We all know that ALL opposition parties are tarred with the same brush and full of False promises they know they can never keep under ANY circumstances. That's because when they DO get in power, they find their promises CAN'T be kept due mainly to them being on a Massive payroll and so there is nothing left to pay for their promises.

By the way 43006, I daresay I too will be lined up and shot at as well now, but by both the Tory and Liberal Democrat supporters.