10:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Rail workers Genealogy

Old 22nd April 2011, 10:49

Rail workers Genealogy

Hi,

My first post so apologies if thread is not in the correct section.

Interested in my family history and it is thought my greatGranderfather, Matthew Boor, worked for the railways.

Matthew Boor was born 1847 in Germany, married in 1873 in Darlington. By the late 1870's the family moved to Salford, then to Liverpool in the 1880's and finally back to Salford. On Matthew's marriage certificate his occupation is described as Engineer and on the census for 1881 & 1891 and on his childrens birth certificates his occupation is described as Engineer, Brass Driller, Fitter or similar. Nothing specific to the railway industry but family legend has it he worked for the railways. Matthew died in 1897 in Salford.

I have recently contacted the University of Warwick who have rail Union records but nothing for Matthew.

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I can search further to establish if Matthew did work for the railways. Are there any employee records available?

Appreciate any help or guidance.
Colin