00:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Can railway suicides be cut? (BBC News)

Old 14th January 2010, 11:40

Can railway suicides be cut? (BBC News)

Any suicide is tragic, but ones that happen on the railways are particularly shocking, and costly. The first national strategy in dealing with them hopes to cut the number by a fifth. But can people who want to end their own lives in this way really be helped?

More from BBC News...

Old 14th January 2010, 11:46

It's kind of unsettling that the appropriate authorities haven't decided to try to put a stop to suicides on the railways, but would appear to be happy to reduce the figures by one-fifth; that still leaves 160 suicides per year, which is, apparently, an acceptable level. What's wrong with this picture....?
Old 14th January 2010, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
It's kind of unsettling that the appropriate authorities haven't decided to try to put a stop to suicides on the railways, but would appear to be happy to reduce the figures by one-fifth; that still leaves 160 suicides per year, which is, apparently, an acceptable level. What's wrong with this picture....?
I don't suppose any authority can be "happy" about the numbers who decide to end it all on the railways but surely any reduction must be worthwhile ?

How on earth could you legislate to stop it happening completely ?
Old 14th January 2010, 12:01

It is very sad that someone who wants to end there life in this way or any other way.
Personally i dont think you will stop it if someone has had enough of life they will do it one way or another no matter what.

ccmmick.

Old 14th January 2010, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
How on earth could you legislate to stop it happening completely ?
A good point, but then again, how do you manage to stop ANY, if it comes to that? No-one knows what goes on in a person's mind; nobody shows signs of it until it happens. I'm only too aware of this, a very close friend of mine committed suicide during October, which came as a terrible shock to me and all his friends & family. At least he didn't jump in front of a train - too frail to get about. You just don't know. .
Old 14th January 2010, 12:12

I guess its a quick and easy solution if you feel that there is no other way out.

Apart from fencing up all railways and bridges in the country, what can possibly be done? nothing.

although every new railway project completed these days does come with a full compliment of razor fencing. there is none of that in germany, wonder why
Old 15th January 2010, 00:32

Where I live in Harlow there has been a whole spate of deaths on the line in the last 2 years. I think its up to 10 now. There has already been one this year