23:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hi all!-NCC engines

Old 27th October 2007, 20:53

Thankyou for posting the picture.I shall put it in my "book" along with all the information I can gather about it with refernce to source.The Derby link is useful as they both lived in the Staffs area until 1950 so that has opened up a new branch for me to follow.

Old 27th October 2007, 21:53

Chris, The article I mentioned is in Back Track Volume 20 No. 9 for September 2006 which can be purchased via this link: http://www.pendragonpublishing.co.uk...es_binders.htm

It seems that it's No. 74 that's preserved rather than 72 as I had thought. The image I posted probably dates from around 1950 but that's only an educated guess.

The article isn't exactly complimentary about the NCC's 4-4-0 locos and reckons that the LMS era moguls and 2-6-4T's knocked them into touch where performance was concerned. The author also notes that the last U2 (No. 74) was withdrawn in 1963 but that the UTA (successor to the NCC) had been absorbing cascaded GNR(I) 4-4-0's for years and that they were better performers than the native ones.

Mike