00:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

The loss of Brunel's legacy!

Old 19th May 2018, 19:03

Angry The loss of Brunel's legacy!

Hi
Let me just say I am not a true railway enthusiast like the most of but I have some information that I think any enthusiast would be interested in if they don't already know!
I live in the little village of Holcombe between Dawlish and Teignmouth Devon, the home of the famous stretch of railway line that Brunel built his ill fated atmospheric railway along! This line as I am sure all of you know is a beautiful iconic railway line visited by many in the summer to see running of steam trains and take lots of photos.

Network Rail in their so called southwest rail resilience scheme want to destroy the sea wall and the beaches between the Parsons tunnel and Eastcliffe at Teignmoth! They propose to move the railway 30 metres out to sea which will distroy the existing sea wall and as I have said the beaches. This is apposed by the vast majority of local people!

If you look on network rails website or search on BBC south west or Devonlive you can see these proposals.

Sorry if this is inappropriate but I thought that all railway enthusiasts would like to know and maybe protest about this like we locals are.
I have lived here for more than 71 years and can't believe that anybody would consider such a mad scheme but it is their favoured option. There will be a consultation but we all know what the outcome of that will be!

Thank you for reading this
Tizyer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.8 KB, 8 views)

Old 19th May 2018, 19:28

More info.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...h-line-1583106