20:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

manchester victoria

Old 19th February 2011, 22:43

Smile corrie in man vic

yesterdays coronation street was at manchester victoria,filmed 5 weeks ago,it showed peter going down the stairs to platforms 3/6[the glass on the stairs was very clean]funny isnt it?its usually filthy,then he ends up on platform 2..where leanne doesnt get on the 156 to london lol,obviously i know that as i use that station,it works though,anyone in the rest of the country wouldnt notice either as its name wasnt mentioned,coronation street have filmed in manchester victoria as far as i know from 1974 onwards loads of times,very strange though that the glass on the stairs gets a good cleaning when cameras roll eh?the commuter?NO,love it when the queen came to visit too,flower pots everywhere,next day?VANISHED,nice to see man vic on telly tho

Old 9th March 2011, 21:51

Newspaper Trains

In the 70s we worked out of Exchange station with 1S03 whitch left Exchange station at 23.05 with a class 47 on. There was a ramp in the middle of the island platform and loads of newspaper vans would come up and load our train.It was a fasanating how fast they loaded our train. I think 1S03 was the only train to use Exchange then as it had been closed to the public for some time. The 47 came off the train at Preston and was replaced by an electric. Baz
Old 26th April 2011, 21:14

anyone seen the plans for man vics 20 million pound roof?its the 4th new roof design since 99,click on man vic new roof and see for yourself.
Old 10th October 2011, 20:47

Smile northern hub/man vic

during october, network rail are holding public consultations all over manchester,this is to inform us all and get feedback on-the northern hub,north west electrification,ordsall chord,and the redevelopment of manchester victoria,i went to one at the museum of science and industry,others are being held at man vic/and picc,eccles station and the arndale centre amongst others,four booklets are available in a pack,of particular interest is the redevelopment of victoria,from the artists impression of the station concourse,it will be very much like piccadilly,from the arena entrance to the metrolink/wh smiths portacabin-will be a 2 floor raised area,ground and first floor shops,bars..etc,then the top will lead from the arena via stairs and a lift/escalaters-near the hot dog stand,its finally coming to fruition
Old 12th October 2011, 22:48

I have passed through Vic at 0500hrs in the morning with the Humber Oil to Ellesmere Gas Tanks.
We had this job from 1995 to 2002.
We also did the papers from Vic.
The mess room was a shambles and the place was falling apart.
In the Mid 1980's the mess room was refurbished, which made it a bit better.
We also parked the engine for the Stalybridge Tanks in front the Manchester East Signal Box.
My worst fear was running away with a train down from Miles Platting.
Have a look at this for nostalga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uGz0...feature=fvwrel
Old 13th October 2011, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Well I do think he should of know that.
He was given enough evidence.
He worked previously for ICI and they got rid of him.
Wonder why?
Thats right they were sick of him.
Then he came swanning over to poor BR with no railway experience and took over.
He really was kicked out!
My late grandfather was working for ICI at the time, and many years ago he gave me the real story.

The man was a con artist.
The railways were losing money, but thats because it was all going into his pocket.
Beeching was paid twice the amount of the prime minister!
Not having enough money to keep lines open is a rubbish excuse therefore.
Some ofmy grandfathers collegues would often say the same thing.
Sadly, now as people have passed away (in some cases for a long period of time) evidence is hard to come by.
you right about beeching but if a goverment gets a bb in it bonett they employ someone who noes nothing about industry they still do it today old school chums and that we all suffer there inaducasis
Old 5th November 2011, 14:47

Just wish I had seen and experienced Man-Vic as it was in the 80s especially with the old Bury line EMUs. Went there for the first time on an SRPS tour in 2005 and was hugely disappointed. It was nothing like the old photos from the 80s rail mags.