06:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Ticket Barriers at York?

Old 6th February 2009, 12:17

Ticket Barriers at York?

Just thought I'd put in a link to an interesting article from yesterdays York Press, regarding the issue of putting automated ticket barriers in at York.

http://www.thepress.co.uk/news/41033...to_be_changed/

Old 9th February 2009, 21:24

I can agree with both sides on this. I think it could seem wrong to have barriers at this sation, as it is one of Yorks greatest symbols and a major attraction to all visiting the city. There is no better way to arrive than by train.

However, when you see NXEC and XC services during the peak at full capacity with standing pax, it is very easy to faredodge a few miles down the network. The conductors cannot get around all coaches in time.

Surely the best solotuon (but not te most cost effective) would be to have staff employed for revenue protection during the peak hours (e.g. 07:00-11:30 and 15:00-19:30) to combat the faredodging sistuation during the hotspot times. Then just have the station as normal during the rest of the time, since then most of the time conductors will check onboard.
Old 10th February 2009, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
However, when you see NXEC and XC services during the peak at full capacity with standing pax, it is very easy to faredodge a few miles down the network. The conductors cannot get around all coaches in time.

In Latvia they get round this problem by having a separate conductor for each coach !
Old 10th February 2009, 23:57

IF passengers don't like having to pay their fare before boarding a train, then the simple answer is DON'T travel.

Prevention is better than cure, so I am all For the barriers and whether the self-opinionated so-called Experts on architecture of any station like to see them installed, or not. I use the Free boxes allocated to me, but ALWAYS make a point of showing them whether passing though a barrier, or when an Inspector comes through the train.
Old 11th February 2009, 09:21

Bramleyman, I agree that there needs to be barriers at the station, but I think that the looks at the station should be considered. Wouldn't it be better to have a series of barriers operated by people, in a style in keeping with the style of the station? The way I see it, putting automatic barriers in would be like putting a cash machine in to the walll at York Minster.
Old 11th February 2009, 10:57

I think there is a conflict of interest here. The argument put forward in "The Press" concentrates on the effect the barriers would have on the station's appearance. There is no mention of the fact that York Council have their own development plans for the station area which would be hindered by the installation of ticket barriers and that many pedestrians would no longer be able to use the station footbridge as a shortcut.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:07

Good point John. I believe I'm right in saying that the exit at the rear of the station was funded by the council to help visitors get to the NRM.
Old 28th June 2009, 11:08

I have read recently that the installation of barriers at York (and many other main stations) is more to do with security than revenue evasion. Apparently there is very little evidence to suggest that barriers reduce the number of people travelling without tickets but they do create station entrance/exit points that can be monitored more effectively using CCTV cameras (and possibly other devices).
Most new franchises issued by the DfT call for the TOC's to install barriers at their main stations and this is seen by many as the Government's way of getting others to help them with their "Big Brother" strategy.
If security is the real reason for barriers then this could explain why, at some stations, they are installed but not always used. In use or not, they are still causing a more easily monitored bottleneck. Any thoughts?
Old 18th November 2009, 16:03

Hi all

My first post and I thought I would combine it with good news for all enthusiasts. Lord Adonis has announced that the scheme for ticket barriers at York Station has been abandoned following the departure of National Express East Coast.