23:18

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Odd train through Manchester today...

Old 25th July 2008, 17:33

Odd train through Manchester today...

I was sitting in the work canteen with some collegues having lunch today, and the building (Universal Square) is directly opposite Ardwick Station on the main line just after Manchester Piccadilly.

We can see the entire line on the viaduct thingimibob and while having lunch I looked up and noticed some Pullman carrages similar to these

http://www.kesr.org.uk/coaches/images/TheodoraFinal.JPG

Passing through towards Manchester Piccadilly. I wasn't able to properly see the coaches nor did I catch the loco but I can imagine this was a unique train and wondered if anyone knows what it was that made me regret going for my lunch early. >_<

FYI this was arround 1pm, very vague time.

Edit: Pennies are starting to drop now. Could this have been the Royal Train?

I also vaguely saw a loco which I thought was a 47 but might not have been in the same colours as the Royal Train a couple days ago and wondered what that was too, perhaps unrelated but unusual, I can see pretty much the entire activity on the line between 8:30 and 4:00 when I'm at that office, although having to do work and not being able to really do any proper observation I miss things until they catch my eye which can be too little too late.

(Love that office though!)

Last edited by Deathbyteacup; 25th July 2008 at 17:40.
Old 25th July 2008, 18:43

The empty stock of the "Northern Belle" Pullman train hauled by an EWS Class 67 loco would have passed through Manchester Piccadilly around 1 pm. I saw it at Warrington at 1.30 pm. The train had worked up to Knutsford from Cardiff for the Tatton Park Flower Show and was running empty to Crewe for servicing. The Orient Express Pullman train also ran from London to Knutsford today but I think this train ran empty to Crewe via a different route.
Old 26th July 2008, 08:25

There was a pullman coloured train running towards Newton Le Willows from Manchester earlier than 1pm, mid morning I think, didn't really take much notice though as I see the it quite often.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 26th July 2008, 13:49
Station Manager

On Wednesday evening has we arrived back from Leeds and just left the station at Blackburn, a train came in and stopped. On the front was 67005 and on the rear was 67028, the coaches where chocolate and cream but I do not know which ones or where it was going. So someone could perhaps shed some light on this one. All the best.
Old 26th July 2008, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6 UXU View Post
On Wednesday evening has we arrived back from Leeds and just left the station at Blackburn, a train came in and stopped. On the front was 67005 and on the rear was 67028, the coaches where chocolate and cream but I do not know which ones or where it was going. So someone could perhaps shed some light on this one. All the best.
Hi Chris,
On Wednesday 23rd July the "Northern Belle" Pullman train did a return trip from York to Windermere via Leeds, Bradford and Halifax (and I assume Blackburn). The fare was £300
Old 26th July 2008, 23:00
Station Manager

Evening John, many thanks for the info, we thought it was but we where not sure. £300-00, that seems an awfull lot of money for a day out, especially if there are two of you. All the best John and thanks again.