17:11

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

How to dismantle a layout.....

Old 23rd August 2010, 22:35

How to dismantle a layout.....

....to paraphrase an album title by Bongo & pals.

I think the time has come to dismantle my layout "Makerfield" and build something else (there's a thread on the layout on here somewhere). Whilst the layout took a lot of time and effort to build, I haven't really got much enjoyment out of the actual running, as I made some errors with clearances around bridges and sited the engine shed in what turned out to be the least accessible position and on a curve, so I haven't used it to any degree. Also a few of the points in the fiddle yard area aren't great and trains constantly derail on them.

Thing is, I can't bring myself to start dismantling it. Psychologically, it's a mountain to climb after putting so much time into it. And there will be a lot of wirring to unravel. But I want to build something with more depth, maybe on a couple of levels, with trains running over bridges etc., and site a depot in an area where I can actually see inside it & keep it clean.

So come on guys, give me some support here! Say some stuff that will help!

Pete :-)

Old 24th August 2010, 07:01

Hi Pete. Whenever I have been faced with the same situation I try to forget the present layout and put all my efforts into planning its replacement.
I have found that the more detailed my planning becomes the more enthusiasm I generate and eventually the urge to get started on the new layout overcomes the desire to hold onto the old one.
You have obviously put a lot of work into "Makerfield" but try to regard it as just one step towards creating your dream layout. Learn from your mistakes and your next layout will be even better and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Old 24th August 2010, 12:48
Registered Member

Well mate, I have found out over the years that it is trial and error on model railways, and it can be very very time consuiming and indeed disheartning a lot of the time.

But you can get a lot of enjoyment out of planning your next and better layout and when you start on the construction of it, you learn a lot from any mistakes on your previous one.

So dont get fed up....my philosophy on Model Railways is "do a bit and leave a bit". Keep it a hobby, not a chore.
If you are tired, or are fed up with a certain part of it, leave it, go away and do something else, it will still be there tomorrow.

Old 25th August 2010, 12:08

Smile

Dont worry about rebuilding a layout all things come to an end,I have torn up quite a few but take your time work out whats wrong with the current layout,look at the prototype and see if a new region would help.Look in the mags for inspiration,go to some shows wait for Warley this years looks good,try looking on the net at pictures of towns etc they can inspire you to build the ultimate layout.Are you in a club it helps to talk with clubmates about your ideas.I am thinking of a new layout probably a three platform terminus with freight yard set in Yorkshire so as to use my current stock.So dont worry just take your time.
Old 29th August 2010, 18:58

I had to do the same to my latest/last project when I was forced to move it into the loft. All of the boards had to be re-aligned to an 18 Degree angle instead of the 15 Degree angle so everything had to be ripped up virtually.

It is worth it though. As you say the enjoyment for me is in building it and not necessarily running it.
Dave