11:50

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Return of 3rd Class

Old 12th December 2012, 22:20

Return of 3rd Class

Yup according to the Daily Mail (so it must be true ) Rail Companies are considering introducing a new level of service.

What else could they do to make it any worse ?

Take the seats and windows out ? Make you travel on the roof and outsides ?

Link here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ns-bad-be.html

Old 13th December 2012, 10:50

The truth of the matter appears to be that a government minister didn't deny that a railway company would be allowed to introduce a third class of travel. Eurostar has three classes of travel, with what is now called Standard Select between Standard and First (or Business as they call it). This more or less aligns their service with that of the airlines who are their main competitors: Air France, for example, offers three classes on their European services.

I don't normally have a lot of sympathy with government ministers but in this case he seems to have a point that a railway union has deliberately misunderstood his statement and started this scaremongering. In my opinion no railway company has the slightest commercial interest in introducing a lower, cheaper class of service. They will be looking to provide a Standard plus service for which they can charge us even more money.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:58

Seems a reasonable thing to do in this day and age.

I think the unions are stupid in the way they have reacted, and to me they have lost all of the little credibility they did have.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:58

not surprised they treat passengers as third rate especially northern rail.as for the union jumping in on this well done them.its time people started to grow a pair and got stuck in.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
Eurostar has three classes of travel, with what is now called Standard Select between Standard and First (or Business as they call it). This more or less aligns their service with that of the airlines who are their main competitors: Air France, for example, offers three classes on their European services.
How typically British. What we need in this country is MORE seats - either via longer trains or double-deckers. And it needs to be addressed now. The population in this country is increasing again, thanks to immigration. Imagine what it will be like in 10 or 20 years.

What this MP is doing is just smoke and mirrors. He doesn't mention introducing MORE seats, just a way of paying extra for the crappy service you're already suffering.

The railway bylaws are written that buying a ticket does NOT entitle you to have a seat. This is Victorian nonsense. If you go to the restaurant or a cinema you pay for the service which includes a seat. If you didn't get one you would complain.

But when it comes to trains people just roll over and take this nonsense, whilst the train companies make staggering profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily mail
But critics said that if there were three classes – the bottom class would by definition be 'third class.'
I wouldn't call that scaremongering. Seems perfectly logical to me.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:41

3rd class suggests a much lower, more basic type of accommodation which is not the same as having a third class.

As I see things they want an additional class between standard and first class, what's wrong with that ?

People are happy to be crammed in on cheap charter flights if it saves money, aren't they ?

Let those who prefer to pay more do so.
Old 13th December 2012, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
3rd class suggests a much lower, more basic type of accommodation which is not the same as having a third class
Pure semantics. This is just spin to pull in the gullible, and you're lapping it up.

Quote:
As I see things they want an additional class between standard and first class, what's wrong with that ?
THEY being the government and the TOCs. Not the passengers though, as the trend is going the other way. FCC is deregulating 50% of its 1st class space on 377s because passengers have realised that everywhere is crammed full so there's no point in paying extra just to stand in First class.

Quote:
People are happy to be crammed in on cheap charter flights if it saves money, aren't they ?

Let those who prefer to pay more do so.
Roll your eyes as much as you wish. The point is they are already crammed in - and they haven't chosen to be. This scheme offers no more seats, just a way of charging more for nothing new.

I'm sure when some of them have paid up to 17% extra for the same journey next month, they'll want to shell out even more just so that some of seats that they aren't guaranteed to sit in will be labelled "In between class".

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 13th December 2012 at 18:21.
Old 13th December 2012, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Pure semantics. This is just spin to pull in the gullible, and you're lapping it up.
I'm sure you could be really offensive if you tried.

Your opinion is as valid as anyone's, of course. Even if you are wrong.
Old 13th December 2012, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Your opinion is as valid as anyone's, of course. Even if you are wrong.
Jolly good

Tags
daily mail, third class