07:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Tram-trains to get first UK trial (BBC News)

Old 18th March 2008, 19:35

Tram-trains to get first UK trial (BBC News)

Rail passengers in Yorkshire are told they will be the first in the UK to trial a new train system.

More from BBC News...

Old 18th March 2008, 20:57

I wonder if Network Rail and Northern are really interested in a true Tram-train?
I get the feeling that they might just be looking for a lightweight replacement for ageing stock.
Old 19th March 2008, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
I wonder if Network Rail and Northern are really interested in a true Tram-train?
I get the feeling that they might just be looking for a lightweight replacement for ageing stock.
your probably right, testing will be on the penistone line.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 19th March 2008, 09:43

I thought Manchester Metro ran as a Tram through the city, And on rail between Manchester/Bury/Altrincham. I was coach driving, and doing "Rail Replacement" We did this from around 16-30 to Midnight, each evening for a few months as all the stations had thier platforms lowered! So does this not count as "Tram/Train??

Seth
Old 19th March 2008, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
I thought Manchester Metro ran as a Tram through the city, And on rail between Manchester/Bury/Altrincham. I was coach driving, and doing "Rail Replacement" We did this from around 16-30 to Midnight, each evening for a few months as all the stations had thier platforms lowered! So does this not count as "Tram/Train??

Seth
Seth,
The Manchester Metrolink uses ordinary trams which never come into contact with "real" trains (heavy rail). Although much of the Metrolink system was once B.R. it is now separate from the existing Network Rail system.
Tram-Trains differ in that they have dual electrical systems and are built to higher safety standards so that they can operate alongside heavy rail trains.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post

Seth
Manchesters Metrolink service uses the old railway lines between Victoria and Bury and also Deansgate (G-Mex) to Altrincham. A new line was built for trains to run between Stockport and Navigation Road with no additional stations. On the central section (Victoria/Picadilly/Deansgate(G-Mex)) it is embedded into the road. The difference between trams and trains is that trams have a tighter turning circle and are considerably shorter as a result.

Old 19th March 2008, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
A new line was built for trains to run between Stockport and Navigation Road with no additional stations.
It was actually a goods only line between Navigation Road and Stockport after Dr Beeching closed it to passenger trains. There were orginally stations at Cheadle and Baguley between Navigation Rd and Stockport.

Will the tram-trains run down the existing train line between Meadowhall and Sheffield or use the existing tram line between Meadowhall and the city centre?
Old 19th March 2008, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
.................Will the tram-trains run down the existing train line between Meadowhall and Sheffield or use the existing tram line between Meadowhall and the city centre?
Initially the tram-trains will operate over the Network Rail line between Meadowhall and Sheffield. The publicity blurb says that a possible Phase 2 could see the tram-trains linking up with the Sheffield Supertram system.
The more I read about the project the more I'm convinced that this is simply an exercise to find a suitable replacement for "Pacers" and the likes.
I think that the DfT have looked at the proven tram-train technology in mainland Europe and recognised a cost effective way of replacing our old trains without having to go to the expense of a totally new build. Unlike most tram-trains, which usually have some electrical capability, the British ones will be 100% diesel powered and although technically still tram-trains I doubt if the ability to run over city centre tram lines is very high on their list of priorities.
Old 20th March 2008, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
It was actually a goods only line between Navigation Road and Stockport after Dr Beeching closed it to passenger trains. There were orginally stations at Cheadle and Baguley between Navigation Rd and Stockport.
I stand corrected. still a stupid arrangement.

Old 20th March 2008, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
The more I read about the project the more I'm convinced that this is simply an exercise to find a suitable replacement for "Pacers" and the likes.
I think that the DfT have looked at the proven tram-train technology in mainland Europe and recognised a cost effective way of replacing our old trains without having to go to the expense of a totally new build. Unlike most tram-trains, which usually have some electrical capability, the British ones will be 100% diesel powered and although technically still tram-trains I doubt if the ability to run over city centre tram lines is very high on their list of priorities.
The main advantages of Pacer trains over trams are a toilet and luggage and cycle space. Will tram-trains have these?

I doubt most stations between Sheffield and Huddersfield will have toilets and the trains are one per hour, it could potentially be a long wait for the toilet especially if a train's cancelled.

The fact that there are 3 universities along the line and many rural stations probably would mean a lot of luggage and bikes are carried on that line, although that's just what I think not what I know happens.

It'll be interesting to see if Northern want to use tram-trains on services which won't go in to cities with trams (Manchester, Sheffield) or plans for trams in the future (Liverpool, Leeds, York). It will also be interesting to see if other companies look at tram-trains such as East Midlands Trains, who serve Nottingham with newer trains.