04:12

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Taxi trips for drivers

Old 28th February 2008, 19:54
Station Manager

Taxi trips for drivers

In today's Bristol Evening Post is a write up about train drivers using taxi to get to the start of their trip. Now I know this is not new, but a 200 mile, 4 hour trip from Bristol to Penzance to start a days work is taking it a bit far. First Great Western will not comment on the taxi trips but the taxi firm has said that now and again they take a driver, TTI or guard to Penzance.
See the site below for the Bristol Evening Post Story

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/displ...entPK=20009179

Old 28th February 2008, 20:49
Registered Member

No wonder train fares are so expensive eh Syd.
Old 28th February 2008, 21:15
Station Manager

I'm more worried about how tired a driver would be after a 4 hour ride in a taxi. I have driven from Bristol to Penzance a number of times and know that I would not be in a fit state to drive a train with loads of people on board. I also know that I could not react as quickly as I could had I been fresh. Just thinking how much slower my reactions would be coming to the end of my shift. FGW should have a driver on site and well rested before the start of a shift. If there no local drivers then one should be sent down the day before and put up in a B & B.
Old 28th February 2008, 22:14

put up in a B & B.[/QUOTE]

In my company the agreement is,

If I am on a job that requires me to lodge away from home then it must be a 3star or better hotel.

If I was put into a B & B then I would turn and tell them where to go. We do not lodge for the good of our health.

Les
Old 28th February 2008, 22:30
Registered Member

During my time on BR lodging was normal on long distance work. I'm afraid it was not 3 star, I dont think it was even 1 star. Times Change.
Old 28th February 2008, 23:12
Station Manager

As long as its clean and comfortable that is all I would worry about. I would never take out a train if I was unfit to drive through being too tired. On the Rhodesian Railways we even had 12 days a year in which we could declare ourselves unfit. The funny thing was that the unfit days were never abused.
Old 29th February 2008, 09:53

First North Western also used taxis for their drivers including taxiing them between Manchester Victoria and Manchester Piccadilly. First North Western used a problem with the taxi service as an excuse why many early morning trains were delayed or cancelled. I'm not sure if Northern Rail still use taxis.
Old 29th February 2008, 12:04

Well, it's not so bad between Piccadilly and Victoria. It'd be a quicker journey on Metrolink, but when you've got to wait for one to turn up I can easily believe that a taxi would be faster.
Old 29th February 2008, 15:09

Northern Rail are reluctant to use TAXIS for passengers who are stranded for more than an hour never mind for there Staff.

But if you have a connection to make and its your last train or you are booked on a connecting train then yo may be lucky and get a taxi on NORTHERN RAIL.

Merseyrail are quite good if you have a problem with the Rail Replacement buses ie dissabiltiy or in a wheel chair they will get you a TAXI.

One night i had to walk down into BOOTLE from ORRELL PARK by the sea to catch a TAXI to walking distance to wear i live cost me £5.50.

Put my comments to MERSEYRAIL and they sent me vouchers back for the cost of the TAXI fare.

But the trins relly should never fail nor shold the power as there should always be an alternative ie DESIL rescue trins like virgin should be employed or hired out from EWS.

"NETWORK RAIL NEEED TO KEEP UOTO DATE WITH THERE ELECTRICITY BILLS
Old 29th February 2008, 19:18

I would say that in an average week I probably have about half a dozen taxis at work. This is because drivers usually book on at their home depot, and this isn't always where their first train is located. Our trains can't all be stabled at stations, so the taxi takes you to wherever the first service starts from (sometimes a maintenance depot, sometimes a carriage sidings). Obviously if you are driving the first train of the day, you can't get there by train !

Later on in the day, a taxi takes me between terminii because if I pass on public transport and I'm delayed it will cost the company £150/minute plus accumulated delay, so a £ 20 taxi is a worthwhile expenditure.

HTH
Foggy