23:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Measuring train speed in youtube videos

Old 27th April 2021, 03:17

Cool Measuring train speed in youtube videos

For Austria, Swiss and Germany, it is relatively easy to clock the time between 100 or 200 meter markers. But on French railway it is difficult. Does anyone know the standard of placing the km markers along French railways?

Old 29th April 2021, 03:51

Good luck with that.
I have some French SNCF signalling information, and some of it is definitely weird.
The mechanical signals definitely are strange beasties.
You might need to look for telegraph poles and count them to time the train speed.
Most USA and Aussie working time tables during the steam era had a table at the rear denoting the various train speeds from the number of telegraph poles passed in a given time.
Very few of our soot belchers had speedos.
Mind you, most of our soot belcher hoggers knew when they were going a tad fast when the loco began knocking on the curves.
We only have half and full km pegs (half and full mile pegs back in the sooty times) displayed along the perway here.
Steve.
Old 30th April 2021, 01:49

Cool Related to "Measuring train speed in youtube videos"

Hello aussiesteve. Thanks for the notes.

I have been trying to count the poles with a stopwatch handy. But the poles and the (100m or 200m) hectometer signs are so irregular, it's not usually possible to get a good start for a km and then the end, to start/stop the stopwatch.

I was just wondering if there is information anywhere about how the hectometer signs are used in France. By that I mean the standard for installation. There seems to be different distances between signs. Not meaning "not at 100m or 200m" distance between intervals, but my question is why there are different intervals. My search on the Internet for "french use" has been without success.

However, it's not a big deal, life will go on without that knowledge

Stay Healthy, strauss44
Old 30th April 2021, 08:25

G'day Strauss,
You might be more successful if you post your question in one of the European rail forums.
There are numerous people who can speak English who can respond to questions about European railways.
I have scanned through the couple of copies of French SNCF signalling documents that I possess.
While I am not able to Parler, I can get the basics of some of the material.
The only distance tableau that I can discover are the Mirliton for approach to signals that are awkward to see.
Plus, ones to denote the distance of a Canton section, or approach to various infrastructure.
I would presume that for most of the Main Line SNCF network, much of the section information is digital display in the cab.
That would include the location of the train en route.
I did travel aboard the TGV when in France in 2000.
I was VERY impressed with the double decker electric train as it stomped around at 280 kph.
Much of the scenery was just a blur.
So, I did not notice any line side distance markers.
Telegraph poles along the railway have become a thing of the past here.
Circuit phones no longer used for railway communication, today being all radio communication.
Steve.
Old 30th April 2021, 21:29

Mobile phone apps will give you a GPS derived speed. It worked fine for me in the driving cab - don't know if you can get a decent satellite lock in the saloon but it's worth a try.

Cheers, John.
Old 1st May 2021, 05:26

Hi Beeyar Wunby, The mobile GPS probably works fine when I am on the train, going places. But if I am watching the train cab ride video from the comfort of my recliner in my living room, I strongly expect that my GPS won't help me.
Old 1st May 2021, 14:09

Fair enough.

From a different angle - can you get access to the countries' official online route documents? They will tell you the max speed that a train could be doing over any line. They often take a bit of interpreting, but it's worth it.

For example, in the UK our Sectional Appendix covers this...https://www.networkrail.co.uk/indust...onal-appendix/
Old 1st May 2021, 16:59

Hi Beeyar (I hope that I am not too familiar), for English and German I could handle the search, but, with apologies for my lack of French, getting things from the French might be tricky "for me". Nevertheless it's a good idea. If I have any success I'll report back. All the best, stay Healthy.
Old 1st May 2021, 19:30

Hi Strauss.

Yes, good luck in your quest. Let us know if you find anything.

Keep safe, John
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:07

G'day Strauss,
Your question has prompted me to dig out any SNCF cab ride You Tube video clips that I possess.
I am not able to stream on line video at home, but have over the years grabbed various video clips while at the library.
I have just viewed one, featuring a metre gauge third rail emu rural line, from Bolquere Eyne to Latour de Carol.
And, yes there does appear to be KM distance posts positioned along the line.
A small square white tableau with what appears to be blue or black numerals.
Though, the clip quality is not very good, and I am not able to read the digits displayed when pausing the playback.
Train speed is naturally not very rapid, and I have seen speed boards denoting 15 kms.
Track speed appears to be in the 30 to 35 kph range excluding sharp curves with reduced speeds.
There also appear to be slightly larger tableau in blue with white numerals positioned at level crossings.
These I can read and are in the 30s ascending for each crossing.
I have no idea just what these tableau indicate, but may relate to the actual kilometric of the crossing.
Scrounging, I have only found one additional clip, a DB cab ride from Widen to Wissembourg.
Arriving at Wissembourg the signals etc change from DB to SNCF.
There are two white square tableau posts displayed, one showing 59, the other showing 57.
These are TOO close together to be KM posts, but appear to be identical in size to those in the first clip.
So, I have no idea of the purpose.
I did think that I possess other SNCF cab ride clips, but have not managed to unearth them.
The other clips unearthed display some of the SNCF mechanical signals in operation.
The intriguing facet of foreign railways is the differing safe working systems employed.
Though, as computerized train control systems encroach everywhere, that difference will dwindle.
I did also chance upon the old Burt Lancaster flick The Train on late night TV here last nite.
Supposedly shot in France.
Viewing that, I did keep an eye peeled for any distance km posts displayed.
Alas, I did not espy anything seeming to be akin to a km distance post.
Still, an entertaining old timer flick.
Steve.

Tags
french, km markers, speed